Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can anyone provide a definite answer to this question-CAN I FAIL MY FIRST PGCE PLACEMENT? I heard mixed answers (incl. the one from my tutor, who wasnt sure or just did not want to tell me), but apparently if you do not meet one of the standards, you do not fail the first placement, it is just passed on as a concern for the second one-and then, if the issue sustains, you fail your PGCE. However, I also heard others saying that if you fail now, you fail your PGCE and fall out of the course after the 1st placement. Can anyone pleeeaaaase provide a clear, definite answer to that question? Thank you so much and thank you outlaw-torn for your kind reply before.

ReputationRep:
    At my uni it is expected that we are graded Requires Improvement or higher by the end of the first placement, which means having most of the Standards at RI and none at Inadequate. If we get to any point and appear not to be making the expected progress there are interventions that are triggered- more contact time with uni tutors and extra work with the school mentor and generally a lot more targeted support. (Our uni really doesn't want us to fail, as they are OfSTED outstanding and obviously they want to keep that!)

I guess you *would* be able to fail P1 but it wouldn't be without someone, somewhere trying desperately to haul you through it. I can't really see that anyone would hoof you off the course at the end of placement one without a VERY good reason indeed.

ReputationRep:
    Technically, yes you can fail. Practically, it's very unlikely.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Wiki Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • PS Reviewer
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Wiki Support Team
    Peer Support Volunteers
    PS Reviewer
    Welcome Squad
    I've only heard of one person failing. We spoke to our ITT coordinator when we heard failure was an option and she told us it's extremely hard to fail completely and if failing all sorts of systems are triggered to stop you from failing. If you get to the end of your placement and you're told you've failed on the very last day without any warning then the school and your uni will know something went very very wrong.

It sounds like different universities handle failing in different ways. There's failing completely, failing and just having to resit after placement 2 or they let you move to placement 2 with an acknowledgement that you have severe areas of weakness somewhere from placement 1.

ReputationRep:
    what actually has to happen for you to fail? what do you do/not do? both the first placement and the pgce itself? i've tried asking providers but obviously its not something they're keen on discussing.

ReputationRep:
    It's a bit unclear at our uni. I think basically, when our uni tutor comes to observe us in placement 1 and have the meeting with your school mentor, if it looks like you haven't made progress and your mentor has some serious worries, then you get put on an action plan, which carries over to your next placement, basically outlining your weaknesses and what you need to work on.

Btw love your username. L.A. Confidential is one of my favourite films.

(Original post by JaneBaratheon)
    what actually has to happen for you to fail? what do you do/not do? both the first placement and the pgce itself? i've tried asking providers but obviously its not something they're keen on discussing.
    It's a tricky one isn't it? At our uni, we have to go through the eight teaching standards and highlight everything we feel we are achieving. This should be at the minimum expected level. If there are significant areas of the minimum category that we aren't meeting, we get put on an action plan.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 9, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.