Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    Is it unrealistic to go for the barrister route given how hard funding is to get for the GDL, as well as how hard it is to get a pupillage and be a Barrister? Would I be better of becoming a solicitor?
    Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EL77)
    Hi,

What are my chances of getting my GDL funded by the Inns of Court and then going on to become a barrister?
    I'm a first year undergraduate student studying BSc Economics at LSE. For my A-levels I got A*A*A*Aa (in maths, economics, chemistry, further maths and english literature respectively).
    Is it unrealistic to go for the barrister route given how hard funding is to get for the GDL, as well as how hard it is to get a pupillage and be a criminal lawyer. Would I be better of going the solicitor route into commercial law? Or even just sticking with Investment Banking?
    Thank you
    It depends on more than the information you've given us - the Inns do award scholarships for the GDL and BPTC, but the amounts available vary from inn to Inn and may have different awarding criteria. In particular they will want to see commitment to the bar, awareness of legal issues/interest in law, demonstration of relevant skills etc. Academically you're doing well so far, but academics alone won't get you it. Have a look on the various inn websites to get a feel of what they are looking for, and if you can, attend their events on this sort of topic.

Do you specifically only want to do criminal law? Because the bar is much more than that. It seems from the options you've painted for yourself, it's either the criminal bar, commercial law firm or IB - ignoring the civil bar entirely (and given you've mentioned commercial law in the solicitor context, I'm curious as to why you haven't considered the commercial/chancery bar). Similarly if you are only interested in criminal law, you can pursue training contracts in firms that do criminal law.

Put it this way: from what you have said so far, there is nothing to say you definitely wouldn't get a scholarship. But it is always a gamble - there isn't enough money for everyone to get one.

Likewise for the bar in general - getting pupillage is extremely competitive and about more than academia. We can't say what your specific chances are. You have to decide if it's a risk you're willing to take.

As for comparing with commercial TCs/IB - I know nothing about IB so can't even pretend to speak on it. There are more commercial TCs out there than pupillages; but that doesn't necessarily mean your odds are any better (for one thing, I would expect huge numbers of applicants for TCs too). There are other people here much better suited to reply about TCs (and commercial law in general) so hopefully they will be able to help on that front

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EL77)
    Hi,

What are my chances of getting my GDL funded by the Inns of Court and then going on to become a barrister?
    I'm a first year undergraduate student studying BSc Economics at LSE. For my A-levels I got A*A*A*Aa (in maths, economics, chemistry, further maths and english literature respectively).
    Is it unrealistic to go for the barrister route given how hard funding is to get for the GDL, as well as how hard it is to get a pupillage and be a criminal lawyer. Would I be better of going the solicitor route into commercial law? Or even just sticking with Investment Banking?
    Thank you
    Perhaps rethink the criminal lawyer bit. Wrong time to join the criminal bar! I wouldn't go for that in the climate today. Otherwise, would have thought you have a good chance of getting it funded with your grades and LSE - you need ECs and law experience also. Yes, better off solicitor route as probably more likely to get a TC than a pupillage. Banker - I don't know about that, I am not the right person to advise.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.