Turn on thread page Beta

Most recognised Uni's for Mechanical Engineering watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What university's are well known for mechanical engineering? (I'm predicted ABB), or should i Just apply to the Uni's with the biggest names, even if they aren't that good for Engineering?

I've applied to

Loughborough
    Exeter
    Sussex
    Liverpool
    Oxford-Brookes (Motorsport)

Are these good choices, is there any better uni's than the ones I have chose, that I would have a chance with?

ReputationRep:
    Imperial, Southampton, Oxbridge (not as much for engineering but they're not exactly bad courses...) are the top ones. Though those are probably out of your reach. Look for unis with good connections to industry, doesn't matter necessarily how highly 'ranked' they are as long as they can get you a good job. Look for accredited courses (so ones that can lead to IEng/CEng status) such as the BEng/MEng courses.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    Imperial, Southampton, Oxbridge (not as much for engineering but they're not exactly bad courses...) are the top ones. Though those are probably out of your reach. Look for unis with good connections to industry, doesn't matter necessarily how highly 'ranked' they are as long as they can get you a good job. Look for accredited courses (so ones that can lead to IEng/CEng status) such as the BEng/MEng courses.
    I'm not too worried about the job, as i'm looking to work within motorsport if possible, do you know if my choices are any good?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lad123)
    I'm not too worried about the job, as i'm looking to work within motorsport if possible, do you know if my choices are any good?
    I'm not certain, but they look like decent unis. Loughborough I believe is very good for engineering.
    I've found this website (run but the government) http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Compare-Courses to be quite useful. If you take a look at average entry figures in terms of UCAS points it'll give you an idea of how likely you are to get in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TVIO)
    I'm not certain, but they look like decent unis. Loughborough I believe is very good for engineering.
    I've found this website (run but the government) http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/Compare-Courses to be quite useful. If you take a look at average entry figures in terms of UCAS points it'll give you an idea of how likely you are to get in.
    Ok thanks for your help

ReputationRep:
    From the Williams website, "As for choice of University or college, with Cambridge, Imperial, Brunel, Bristol, Loughborough and Southampton being popular high-end choices for F1 hopefuls."

Personally, I'm also interested in getting into the motorsport industry, and I applied to Bath because they have a great formula student team.

ReputationRep:
    Aren't Aston supposed to have great industry links?

ReputationRep:
    Any accredited course is fine if it says imeche, check the league tables
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    (Original post by samsama)
    From the Williams website, "As for choice of University or college, with Cambridge, Imperial, Brunel, Bristol, Loughborough and Southampton being popular high-end choices for F1 hopefuls."

Personally, I'm also interested in getting into the motorsport industry, and I applied to Bath because they have a great formula student team.
    A student this year from Surrey Mech Eng had his placement at Williams F1.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 3, 2014
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.