Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm in my first year at uni and I got in by chance of adjustment at the last minute. I was so lucky to get an amazing room in halls at the last minute due to someone dropping out.
    However, I've not got on that well with my flatmates. Most of them are older and don't want to go out clubbing and partying. I'm quite shy but I'd never turn down the chance to go out clubbing and partying and I thought before coming to uni drinking and partying would be a big part of uni life but that's not the case.
    I'm finding it really difficult to make friends in my course and in my module courses and most of the time I feel quite lonely. I just want to meet more people and make more friends who like to do the same things as me like partying but it feels like it's impossible at the moment :/

What should I do? How can I change my experience for the better?

ReputationRep:
    When you say 'older' do you mean say 19/20 or mature students?

If they're 19-20 say this is a tad surprising. Although the luck of the draw, maybe you happen to have a 'quiet' set of flatmates!

I was very shy myself at uni and regret it so deeply now (my 1st year was FOURTEEN years ago) I have spoken about it at some length in other threads - you are still there, take the opportunity! It will be hard but try the floor above, the floor below. You are female. If you are prepared to, you could always play the ''latch onto lads' card - some lads would be really keen to have a new girl in their friendship groups, which is now, after the glow of Freshers, probably getting a little stale. But remember its term ONE of NINE - its still early days in your uni life, more than enough time for things to turn around completely.

Or take a gamble. You like the room but its more than the space of course! Could you transfer halls?

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wimbs)
    When you say 'older' do you mean say 19/20 or mature students?

If they're 19-20 say this is a tad surprising. Although the luck of the draw, maybe you happen to have a 'quiet' set of flatmates!

I was very shy myself at uni and regret it so deeply now (my 1st year was FOURTEEN years ago) I have spoken about it at some length in other threads - you are still there, take the opportunity! It will be hard but try the floor above, the floor below. You are female. If you are prepared to, you could always play the ''latch onto lads' card - some lads would be really keen to have a new girl in their friendship groups, which is now, after the glow of Freshers, probably getting a little stale. But remember its term ONE of NINE - its still early days in your uni life, more than enough time for things to turn around completely.

Or take a gamble. You like the room but its more than the space of course! Could you transfer halls?

Good luck!

Most of them are 23-24, international and the British ones are antisocial. They don't even come out their rooms, so tbh it's like they're not there. One of them already said at the beginning they didn't like drinking or going out. I guess you're right they're quiet and it's just bad luck.

I've already tried to make friends with guys but the problem is they don't want to do things with a girl like shopping or going out clubbing, that is why I wish I had some better female friends :/ And I guess you're right it's early now, but I just don't know how it will change.

I would change my halls, but I like my room too much and I don't know if I could give it up for something worse haha

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.