Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    If I make Queen Mary my firm and get A*AA I get £3000 a year, if I make Birmingham my firm I get an unconditional offer. Both are to read strait economics. I am predicted A* Maths; A* Econ; A* Physics; a AS FM; already got A AS chem. Do you guys know which econ department is better? Or which has a better employer reputation?

ReputationRep:
    Hey, just giving this thread a bump :bump: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help you get more responses. :yy:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by dean2013)
    If I make Queen Mary my firm and get A*AA I get £3000 a year, if I make Birmingham my firm I get an unconditional offer. Both are to read strait economics. I am predicted A* Maths; A* Econ; A* Physics; a AS FM; already got A AS chem. Do you guys know which econ department is better? Or which has a better employer reputation?
    Birmingham has been ahead of QM for quite some time, it's only in recent years QM has shot up in rankings for economics. As for employer reputation I'd say they are fairly even, but Birmingham may have an edge internationally but its hard to say as QM has the London advantage. I also have the same offer from Birmingham & I'd say think of location, campus, facilities & accommodation etc to distinguish because they are fairly even, and the £3000 a year just makes it so much harder, that's a tough one. Btw with those grades why are you considering firming QM or Birmingham :confused: Where else have you applied?

ReputationRep:
    If I had a guess I'd say both are roughly even so I would personally pick QM. But your predictions tell me that you can do much, much better - shouldn't you be looking at top 5?

ReputationRep:
    I've applied to UCL, LSE and Warwick as well. I am hoping to get some offers, but I cocked of Microeconomics last year, I am retaking that, so that may harms my application, but I think my PS was quite good. I am hoping to make one of them my insurance. The perks they gave me are not a huge deal for me because I am confident I can get 3 As and my dad says he will pay my tuition. So you think QM is a better uni? QM has London going for it, but there seems to be more choice at Birmingham and I could take some modules in other subjects which could be cool. Thanks for the advice! Still not sure.
    You should be aiming higher than 3As if you're predicted 3A*s. Also, you can use student finance if your parents don't want to pay for your tuition fees! I would personally prefer QM but you'll get at least one offer from the other 3 you mentioned

ReputationRep:
    does any one else know if they prefer QMUL of Birmingham?

ReputationRep:
    Advice here about making Firm/Insurance choices - and about the drawbacks of Unconditional offers.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...urance_choices

Remember also that you don't need to make this decision for MONTHS!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 8, 2015

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.