x Turn on thread page Beta

TSR's rules on offensiveness - reform needed? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I will start by saying that I think TSR, for the most part, has accurate and necessary rules to prevent anarchy from descending. I also think that some posters are overly offensive and that this is not conducive to a constructive forum.

However, I think the rules of 'offensiveness' have gone too far, and the notion of something being 'offensive' is too vague. This report option has enabled OPs and those commenting to cover their backs or their stupid opinions by simply claiming the other person is being 'insulting' or 'demeaning', and due to the vagueness of the rules, almost guarantees the other poster to receive a warning or a card. These are also extremely hard to over-turn, as mods are forced to play it safe and say 'well, this particular word MIGHT have been taken as offensive'.

Should TSR update it's offensive rules to include derogatory words, insults, slang, or comments that can be proven to be offensive (or have multiple different people reporting it)? I think it should. What about everyone else?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    I will start by saying that I think TSR, for the most part, has accurate and necessary rules to prevent anarchy from descending. I also think that some posters are overly offensive and that this is not conducive to a constructive forum.

However, I think the rules of 'offensiveness' have gone too far, and the notion of something being 'offensive' is too vague. This report option has enabled OPs and those commenting to cover their backs or their stupid opinions by simply claiming the other person is being 'insulting' or 'demeaning', and due to the vagueness of the rules, almost guarantees the other poster to receive a warning or a card. These are also extremely hard to over-turn, as mods are forced to play it safe and say 'well, this particular word MIGHT have been taken as offensive'.

Should TSR update it's offensive rules to include derogatory words, insults, slang, or comments that can be proven to be offensive (or have multiple different people reporting it)? I think it should. What about everyone else?

I myself have picked up two cards recently, I believe. And I'll admit, I probably deserved it on some level? However, I do agree with what you've said.

I think it would be beneficial to review the warning system.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balloon Baboon)
    I myself have picked up two cards recently, I believe. And I'll admit, I probably deserved it on some level? However, I do agree with what you've said.

I think it would be beneficial to review the warning system.
    Some cards are deserved, most aren't.

Agreed.
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    Popped this in News, Help & Feedback.

Interested to hear what people think about this.

ReputationRep:
    I agree alot of mods get 'trigger happpy' so to speak, bring back neg rep.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Puddles the Monkey)

I posted the "ban hammer" thing back when it was in Chat, so I hope it doesn't count as spam
    • TSR Community Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Community Team
    (Original post by Morrisseya)
    I posted the "ban hammer" thing back when it was in Chat, so I hope it doesn't count as spam
    :lol:

I shall remove it, just in case.

ReputationRep:

Cheers, wasn't sure which subforum to put it in, and glad this isn't just getting taken down.

ReputationRep:
    :lol:

I shall remove it, just in case.
    That's not fair :'(

In b4

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadoo)
    The first part of your post has no bearing on the last part.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    I don't think it is possible to have a clear definition for what is and what isn't offensive. Presumably moderators take a common sense approach towards reports and not card someone simply because someone else has claimed that they were offended. I'm not sure that it is fair to card someone for accidently offending someone, so the real question is, how do mods judge whether there was intent to cause upset? Do they just read the offending post or do they read other posts in the thread to gauge the context? I don't know if they do these things or not because I have never had a card, but one would hope so.

ReputationRep:
    It's something that was an issue in the backroom when I was last a sub.

Stuff was too offensive but what was offensive was too vague.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cambo211)
    It's something that was an issue in the backroom when I was last a sub.

Stuff was too offensive but what was offensive was too vague.
    I heard that Backroom was far more lenient than the forums for us peasants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadoo)
    Neg Rep would solve everything.

Seriously I got reported for saying that the world was over populated the other day.. it's ridiculous D:

Some people are just too easily offended.

ReputationRep:

Agreed!

ReputationRep:
    I heard that Backroom was far more lenient than the forums for us peasants.
    It was, and then it became less so.
    As Cambo said, it became very unclear what was and wasn't acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    With my wisdom on this matter, it's difficult to draw a line, but I was going to offer for people to suggest some things they think might be close to the line and say "yes" or "no", but here's a novel idea: stop being dicks to each other. Don't try and find the line and literally step right up to it. If people just treated each other with respect and didn't try and denigrate others, TSR would be a much happier place.

I'm happy for the mods to use discretion. If anything, they err on the side of caution when it comes to borderline cases.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mad Vlad)
    With my wisdom on this matter, it's difficult to draw a line, but I was going to offer for people to suggest some things they think might be close to the line and say "yes" or "no", but here's a novel idea: stop being dicks to each other. Don't try and find the line and literally step right up to it. If people just treated each other with respect and didn't try and denigrate others, TSR would be a much happier place.

I'm happy for the mods to use discretion. If anything, they err on the side of caution when it comes to borderline cases.

I see a line. I eat a line and wash it down with a cup of hot steamy rules.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    There are post that, if one has a rule on offensiveness, that should be deleted, there are those that shouldn't and are and those that should but aren't. The thing is, there are also some threads that could cause offense to some and are shut down because somebody was stupid enough to go on a thread that, by the title, would offend them. Now, I don't agree that these should be shut down because either a) people are too stupid to avoid something that could cause offense, or b) intentionally go there to shut it down. On the thread level I think that, at least in some of the sub-forums, there should be an option to tag it as potentially offensive to some and then be more lenient within the thread (obviously within limits). Obviously there would be some things that would be deleted regardless, and rightly so, but we shouldn't be prevented from discussing something because one person somewhere doesn't like it. But there are some threads which would be rather interesting and productive, but require a reasonable definition of political correctness, not the silly "waah waah shut it down I don't like it" political correctness we have now.

Slightly more on topic, it seems to vary from mod to mod quite a bit. I've seen some that appear to delete and card over very little, and others that just delete or edit and just say "everybody calm down". I obviously don't know how the mods see it when they get the report, whether it's just the single post or whether there's a bit of context to it, because sometimes the moderation is really poor. They will only do something with the single reported post even when the posts around it are at least as bad, and at other times they tidy up whole swathes. I also see instances of them being all "yeah, just locking this while I tidy it up" and then never actually tidy it up.

ReputationRep:
    I find this thread offensive

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2015
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.