Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Looking for an insurance choice - Aber has the renowned department, but seems a bit dead. I've not heard anything of Stirling's course reputation but the place looks nicer, has better transport links being closer to Edinburgh and Glasgow and isn't in Wales. So is Aber's department that much better to warrant it's choosing over Stirling? What's the overall reputation like of them both also? Is one seen as better than the other? Thanks.
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    (Original post by Thisisalongdrive)
    Looking for an insurance choice - Aber has the renowned department, but seems a bit dead. I've not heard anything of Stirling's course reputation but the place looks nicer, has better transport links being closer to Edinburgh and Glasgow and isn't in Wales. So is Aber's department that much better to warrant it's choosing over Stirling? What's the overall reputation like of them both also? Is one seen as better than the other? Thanks.
    As an ex-Aber graduate (and interpol student), I can tell you that on first inspection yes Aber does seem a bit...sleepy. However, as a student it is a fantastic, close knit community with some great societies to keep you entertained year round.

I lived on the sea front by constitution hill for all 3 years (even stayed over the summer) and being able to step out your front door and walk into the sea or casually walk up the hill and have a BBQ or a bit of al fresco is brilliant.

All in all, great 3 years and wouldn't change it for anything. Also, oddly by best mate form Aber now lives in Stirling and I head up there quite regularly. It's also a lovely place so let me know if you want to know anymore about either Aber or Stirling

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwyn)
    As an ex-Aber graduate (and interpol student), I can tell you that on first inspection yes Aber does seem a bit...sleepy. However, as a student it is a fantastic, close knit community with some great societies to keep you entertained year round.

I lived on the sea front by constitution hill for all 3 years (even stayed over the summer) and being able to step out your front door and walk into the sea or casually walk up the hill and have a BBQ or a bit of al fresco is brilliant.

All in all, great 3 years and wouldn't change it for anything. Also, oddly by best mate form Aber now lives in Stirling and I head up there quite regularly. It's also a lovely place so let me know if you want to know anymore about either Aber or Stirling
    Thanks for the reply! I've now submitted my application and chose Aber. If you could say anything on their Interpol course and part time job prospects in town it'd be greatly appriciated. Thanks
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Thanks for the reply! I've now submitted my application and chose Aber. If you could say anything on their Interpol course and part time job prospects in town it'd be greatly appriciated. Thanks
    Good choice!

The lecturers are great (although I graduated a few years back), the vast majority of key texts are produced by Aber staff, so they know their subject inside and out. My main focus was on Security Studies, so the vast majority of my modules focused on the likes of WW1, Terrorism, America in the World etc. which I found very interesting. the course is very seminar heavy, so be prepared to get involved, debate, discus and be devil's advocate.

As for part-time job prospects, the SU is a good employer and their are plenty of jobs in pubs. i worked in an awesome little Spanish deli called Ultracomedia (on an aside perhaps the best baguette you will have this side of heaven!) and they always take on a couple of students.

I had a few friends who worked for everything from the local cinema to hotels as cleaners.

Enjoy and drink in Scholars

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paulwyn)
    Good choice!

The lecturers are great (although I graduated a few years back), the vast majority of key texts are produced by Aber staff, so they know their subject inside and out. My main focus was on Security Studies, so the vast majority of my modules focused on the likes of WW1, Terrorism, America in the World etc. which I found very interesting. the course is very seminar heavy, so be prepared to get involved, debate, discus and be devil's advocate.

As for part-time job prospects, the SU is a good employer and their are plenty of jobs in pubs. i worked in an awesome little Spanish deli called Ultracomedia (on an aside perhaps the best baguette you will have this side of heaven!) and they always take on a couple of students.

I had a few friends who worked for everything from the local cinema to hotels as cleaners.

Enjoy and drink in Scholars
    Thanks a lot for your help. One more thing I'm curious about is prospects upon graduation. Do you feel your degree is looked highly upon? Was/is securing a job afterwards helped by your degree both from Aber and in Interpol? Thanks again!
    • TSR Group Staff

ReputationRep:
    TSR Group Staff
    Thanks a lot for your help. One more thing I'm curious about is prospects upon graduation. Do you feel your degree is looked highly upon? Was/is securing a job afterwards helped by your degree both from Aber and in Interpol? Thanks again!
    no worries, this is why we all come to TSR!

Tough one to be honest, when I graduated Aber was higher up the rankings and the interpol course was very highly regarded (had interviews with The Army where this was noted a number of times). As a non-vocational course I do wonder how many people end up in an Interpol related role, I have a fantastic well paid job but it has nothing at all to do with Interpol, while on the flip side some of my uni friends work for the likes of HMRC and UKBA.

If your dream career path is Foreign Office, SIS etc. then they will/should be aware of Abers reputation within the sector...just nail a 2.1

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.