Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How do I prove to my mum that I only have 'a bit of an eating disorder' left? watch

I'm getting frustrated. She brought it up to my GP the other day. It's been 4 years?! She doesn't even live with me anymore, I live with Dad! Just because she doesn't always see me having cake around her does not mean I am starving myself. I am skinny, indeed I want try to gain weight (I guess I'd like to be muscly, THAT is an ED/body image thing I recognise it) I can't just gain through eating junk food for obvious reasons, and I can't afford enough for a 'bulk'. So I am getting by with 3 meals-you know like most people?

Plus, sugar (along with alcohol) triggers some sort of MH decline in me. But occasionally I will have a big dessert with my friends. Just not every day because

Spoiler:
    Show

yeah, I guess I do like being in decent shape (since trying to work on my social anxiety) and it's bad enough managing health anxiety and whatever random crap goes on in my head anyway). Unfortunately I have lost weight, just a few pounds from 1 1st to 10st 10, possibly from restarting gym buying protein shakes etc., but this wasn't intentional, and I'm not avoiding many socials involving food or anything

My nan is even worse, she positively praises us for developing beer bellies. 0_0 It's not malicious she's just naive, having grew up during the war when people wouldn't dream of doing all the fat diets and workouts out there now

I somewhat counter-productively but deliberately developed binge eating problems against my will 2 years ago just to convince Mum I was not anorexic per se. It did a number on my physical/mental health, I don't want to do that again

How do I convince my Mum that, not so much I don't have body image issues (because I do) but that it hurts me when she says I still have an eating disorder, because I feel trapped? Junk food just…does funny things to my brain, and I feel it's unfair when I'm worried about my health (heart disease etc.) to pressure me to have it for the sake of it. Do I have to eat cake every day to prove to her I'm fine?

This is about the 12th thread I've made on this

ReputationRep:
    Male or female?

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    Male or female?
    male

ReputationRep:
    Exercise. Lift those weights, run those miles. Then it won't matter what you eat

(Original post by shawn_o1)
    Exercise. Lift those weights, run those miles. Then it won't matter what you eat
    well it still does re: body composition as you know and has a potential effect on testosterone levels (e.g. decline due to sugar), however this is getting argued as ED behaviour. Yes body image plays into this but ED? Hmmm

Also, part of the problem is they are bizarrely calling my aim for a bulk part of the ED.

In general this label is causing me anxiety sometimes to the point of losing sleep-anxiety being my primary disorder.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is, I'm not sure anyone can ever say an ED is completely gone. Sure, you can learn ways to deal with it and cope, but it will always be there and could be triggered by something else. Of course, once you're educated about it, you'll be able to spot the signs earlier and put into practice your coping techniques.

Your mum possibly won't ever believe it.. because she worries about you. If anything, trying actively to convince her is likely to have the complete opposite effect because it looks like you're trying too hard.

I'd say just try your best to get on with your life, continuing your healthy habits, and ask her to stop making comments about it - explain that it doesn't help. Eventually she should calm down about it.

(Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    The problem is, I'm not sure anyone can ever say an ED is completely gone. Sure, you can learn ways to deal with it and cope, but it will always be there and could be triggered by something else. Of course, once you're educated about it, you'll be able to spot the signs earlier and put into practice your coping techniques.

Your mum possibly won't ever believe it.. because she worries about you. If anything, trying actively to convince her is likely to have the complete opposite effect because it looks like you're trying too hard.

I'd say just try your best to get on with your life, continuing your healthy habits, and ask her to stop making comments about it - explain that it doesn't help. Eventually she should calm down about it.
    aye, I had the seeds sown for body image problems when I was about 11-long before I had any form of ED :/

ahh, I hadn't thought about it this way! Thanks Angel

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)

This. I believe if you have an ED you always have an ED. You may have less symptoms but it's always possible you can be re-triggered.

(Original post by SmallTownGirl)
    This. I believe if you have an ED you always have an ED. You may have less symptoms but it's always possible you can be re-triggered.
    I believe this too. sadly. I started with bulimia in 2011 and its been with me on and off upto present day. Allthough I only have a tiny bit of a problem at the moment, probably closest thing to nil I will get I feel.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 18, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.