Incorrectly marked AS Paper Watch

Quilt
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hey guys,

I just wondered if anybody could help me out with this really really frustrating situation I'm currently in or if anybody else has had the same happen to them!

In AS Media, I'd always done really well in the essays in class, my lowest grade being a B and my average being an A, and did just as well in the mocks. In the actual exam, I came out feeling relieved and thought the exam had gone really, really well and couldn't wait to get my results!

Results day came, I got an A in my coursework but a D in my exam! (B overall). I was so confused but figured I must have got the wrong end of a question or misread it or something, but was shocked to find I had 54/100 on the whole paper. I requested my marked paper back (WJEC) and it arrived a week ago, later than the remark deadline, and I went through it with 2 media teachers who were all shocked and confused by the way it'd been marked.

There are ticks EVERYWHERE, and all of my writing corresponds pretty much perfectly to the mark scheme, give or take a few errors (none that would have dropped me half the marks on the whole paper) and they're 100% sure there's been an issue with the marking but have told me the only thing I can do is resit the paper since they sent me the original and the remark deadline has passed.

I really don't want to have to resit this paper, that would be so frustrating as both teachers read my paper and said "this is an A grade answer booklet, nowhere near a D".

What should I do?! If there is anything I can do!
loperdoper
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
What have your teachers said? Maybe they can put a complaint into the exam board about it?

(I was a solid A grade student all through WJEC AS Media too - but my exam after remark came back as 1 UMS off an A - I was gutted!)
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quilt)
Results day came, I got an A in my coursework but a D in my exam! (B overall). I was so confused but figured I must have got the wrong end of a question or misread it or something, but was shocked to find I had 54/100 on the whole paper. I requested my marked paper back (WJEC) and it arrived a week ago, later than the remark deadline, and I went through it with 2 media teachers who were all shocked and confused by the way it'd been marked.

I really don't want to have to resit this paper, that would be so frustrating as both teachers read my paper and said "this is an A grade answer booklet, nowhere near a D".

If there is anything I can do!
Sorry, the exam boards make it very clear that, if you want to see the script with the idea of a re-mark, you have to go for a priority script as routine original scripts are not sent back until after the re-mark deadline. I'm afraid you had your chance to try this, or go straight for a re-mark and you didn't so you now have to re-sit if you want to improve the mark.
Quilt
Rep:
?
(Original post by loperdoper)
What have your teachers said? Maybe they can put a complaint into the exam board about it?

(I was a solid A grade student all through WJEC AS Media too - but my exam after remark came back as 1 UMS off an A - I was gutted!)
They've said that I should have requested a re-mark with my teacher when I had such a low grade compared to my predicted, but because I thought maybe I'd answered incorrectly it was suggested I just get the paper back as it was cheaper, and review my own work

What did you have before your remark?

(Original post by Compost)
Sorry, the exam boards make it very clear that, if you want to see the script with the idea of a re-mark, you have to go for a priority script as routine original scripts are not sent back until after the re-mark deadline. I'm afraid you had your chance to try this, or go straight for a re-mark and you didn't so you now have to re-sit if you want to improve the mark.
I wasn't offered a remark because my teacher assumed I'd just done badly because I'd never done media before AS! I'm so frustrated because if I was offered a remark I would of

Thanks.
Compost
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quilt)
They've said that I should have requested a re-mark with my teacher when I had such a low grade compared to my predicted, but because I thought maybe I'd answered incorrectly it was suggested I just get the paper back as it was cheaper, and review my own work

I wasn't offered a remark because my teacher assumed I'd just done badly because I'd never done media before AS! I'm so frustrated because if I was offered a remark I would of
For future reference, you don't have to be offered a re-mark, (if you have the money for it) you can just pay for one. Also (at A level) there are 2 ways of getting a script back and I would always go for a priority script. Priority scripts are about £2 more expensive and have to be ordered with 8 days of the results coming out but they guarantee to get them back within the deadline for applying for a re-mark (some boards send them back within hours, others take up to 2 weeks).
Quilt
Rep:
?
(Original post by Compost)
For future reference, you don't have to be offered a re-mark, (if you have the money for it) you can just pay for one. Also (at A level) there are 2 ways of getting a script back and I would always go for a priority script. Priority scripts are about £2 more expensive and have to be ordered with 8 days of the results coming out but they guarantee to get them back within the deadline for applying for a re-mark (some boards send them back within hours, others take up to 2 weeks).
I know, I guess I just wasn't aware that it was an option, or just didn't comprehend the idea that it might of been a marking mistake not my own mistake in the exam!
loperdoper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Quilt)

Ah that's annoying. Unfortunately your only option is to either resit, or to try and bring it up to an A in your A2 year.

I got the exact same mark both pre- and post-remark.
Quilt
Rep:
?
(Original post by loperdoper)
Ah that's annoying. Unfortunately your only option is to either resit, or to try and bring it up to an A in your A2 year.

I got the exact same mark both pre- and post-remark.
It is the most frustrating thing I've ever experienced haha! My teacher thinks it'll be impossible for me to take it up to an A, because the D is always going to drag my grade down!

That's annoying!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (191)
39.71%
No - but I will (29)
6.03%
No - I don't want to (33)
6.86%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (228)
47.4%

Watched Threads