Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Does anybody have any tips on how to right the comparative coursework successfully?
    My two novels are One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest (Ken Kesey) and The Handmaid's Tale (Margaret Atwood.)

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    I'm doing comparative coursework too! My advice is to compare both texts throughout; that is, don't just do a couple of paragraphs answering your question on one text, then a couple of paragraphs on the other. I'd also say to quote your texts often and analyse it (like at AS, AO2 if you're doing AQA LitB), and reference other sources and critics throughout your essay too. If you don't know how to start I'd just list or mindmap things you want to talk about in your essay and see how the different points relate, then just write a paragraph or so about the points you've made.
    Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Thank you very much!

Have you started your piece? If so, what did you include in your introduction?
    I always have trouble kicking off my essays!

ReputationRep:
    Yes, it's actually nearly finished because the deadline is before just Christmas. Introductions are the worst! My title was '"No matter how cruel and unlikeable protagonists are, the reader is still able to sympathise with them." To what extent is this true in 'A Clockwork Orange' and 'The Wasp Factory', and what could this say about the writers' view on human nature?'. My intro starts off with defining 'protagonist' because its keys to arguing whether or not the characters can be defined as one. That's probably not the best example to give you because it's quite clichéd as lots of essays with definitions. I'd suggest rearranging your question into a sentence and going from there.

ReputationRep:
    Ok maybe I am on the right lines then as I've opened mine by defining 'dystopia!' Thank you very much for all your help, and good luck with your coursework, it's a brilliant question!

ReputationRep:
    Thank you, good luck with your coursework too!

ReputationRep:
    Mine's due next week. I'm doing The Kite Runner and I Know Why The Caged Bird Sings. I'm struggling with IKWTCBS because I don't really have much time to read it right now. I'm thinking about switching to the poem of the same name because it's practically the same thing but shorter to analyse. I just wanted to know if that's an okay thing to do.

ReputationRep:
    I'm sure it's ok to change your text... as long as you think you have time to analyse it! However, my teachers have said that if you want to use poetry, you should refer to at least 2-3 pieces of the poets work

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.