Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    In class we've been given a problem to try and solve and explain.

we had to do (x+_)(_x+_) where we filled the gaps with any three integers between -4 and 4. We then wrote out all the different possible combinations of these (there was 6) and then expand and simplify them. We then had to add all the expanded quadratics together to form another quadratic, which we then had to factorise. each time this came to (2x-3)(x+1).

We now have to explain why this happens in mathematical terms,and why it only happens for integers between -4 and 4, and I have no idea why.
    Please could someone explain why this happens?

thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Boople)
    In class we've been given a problem to try and solve and explain.

we had to do (x+_)(_x+_) where we filled the gaps with any three integers between -4 and 4. We then wrote out all the different possible combinations of these (there was 6) and then expand and simplify them. We then had to add all the expanded quadratics together to form another quadratic, which we then had to factorise. each time this came to (2x-3)(x+1).

We now have to explain why this happens in mathematical terms,and why it only happens for integers between -4 and 4, and I have no idea why.
    Please could someone explain why this happens?

thanks
    There are loads more than 6

ReputationRep:
    I think he/she is saying that you pick three numbers between -4 and 4, then substitute them into the expression. Given this, there are 3! = 6 ways of arranging the three numbers.

(Original post by TenOfThem)
    There are loads more than 6

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WishingChaff)
    I think he/she is saying that you pick three numbers between -4 and 4, then substitute them into the expression. Given this, there are 3! = 6 ways of arranging the three numbers.
    Ahhhhhhh

that would make more sense

But wouldn't work

I just tried 3, -2, 1 and did not get (2x-3)(x+1)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, at first I thought this sounded like a nice problem but seems to be lacking extra requirements/structure. I noticed the same, but it is much easier to simply realise that if you pick three positive numbers (1,2,3) clearly there is no way you are going to get a factor of 2 in the x^2 term.

Ahhhhhhh

that would make more sense

But wouldn't work

I just tried 3, -2, 1 and did not get (2x-3)(x+1)

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, at first I thought this sounded like a nice problem but seems to be lacking extra requirements/structure. I noticed the same, but it is much easier to simply realise that if you pick three positive numbers (1,2,3) clearly there is no way you are going to get a factor of 2 in the x^2 term.
    I did a general a,b,c and you get 2(x+1)(something) every time

You are going to get a multiple of 2x^2 because they all happen twice

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but maybe I am confused with the initial premise. My point was that if you take the three numbers (1,2,3) and arrange them in there 6 possible ways (where each term corresponds to the point in the expression we substitute into i.e. (1,3,2) = (x+1)(3x+2) and so on.), it is clear that summing all these terms is not going to produce a factor of 2 in the x^2 term (it will be larger than 2). Thus, it is clear that the sum of these expressions does not equal the claimed expression. i.e. (2x-3)(x+1).

I did a general a,b,c and you get 2(x+1)(something) every time

You are going to get a multiple of 2x^2 because they all happen twice

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, but maybe I am confused with the initial premise. My point was that if you take the three numbers (1,2,3) and arrange them in there 6 possible ways (where each term corresponds to the point in the expression we substitute into i.e. (1,3,2) = (x+1)(3x+2) and so on.), it is clear that summing all these terms is not going to produce a factor of 2 in the x^2 term (it will be larger than 2). Thus, it is clear that the sum of these expressions does not equal the claimed expression. i.e. (2x-3)(x+1).
    I am agreeing with you - we get a multiple of 2 in each co-efficient

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Well, guess we will have to wait for the student to correct the question.

I am agreeing with you - we get a multiple of 2 in each co-efficient

ReputationRep:
    Ok. Well, guess we will have to wait for the student to correct the question.
    I just repeated what my teacher told me, I'm as lost as you are on this one

ReputationRep:
    Then we must conclude that your teacher is wrong.

ReputationRep:
    I thought you said that you had done it

In the OP you described the process as though you had actually worked through it in class

ReputationRep:
    I thought you said that you had done it

In the OP you described the process as though you had actually worked through it in class
    Nope, we were meant to work through it at home.

Anyway, my teacher has since said that each final quadratic you get should have one of its factors as (x+1), which I checked and it is correct.
    Now as for explaining why I formed a general a,b and c one that came out as 2((a+b+c)x^2+2(a+b+c+ab+bc+ca)x+ (ab+bc+ca))
    As (x+1) is a factor f(-1) must equal 0
    And when putting x=-1 into the general a,b and c thing I got it came out as 0.

ReputationRep:
    Nope, we were meant to work through it at home.

Anyway, my teacher has since said that each final quadratic you get should have one of its factors as (x+1), which I checked and it is correct.
    Now as for explaining why I formed a general a,b and c one that came out as 2((a+b+c)x^2+2(a+b+c+ab+bc+ca)x+ (ab+bc+ca))
    As (x+1) is a factor f(-1) must equal 0
    And when putting x=-1 into the general a,b and c thing I got it came out as 0.
    It does actually factorise with 2(x+1) coming out nicely

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.