Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am a first year Philosophy student in London, and am considering dropping out. I very nearly did a year out to shore up my maths and reapply to do Physics & Philosophy, and my alternative plans now are sort of based on that.

Essentially, although I have loved moving away, and have made some great friends, I feel like the course is not teaching me much. Some of the stuff is historical which I find incredibly dull, and much of the rest of the course material I knew already. I am learning some philosophy since moving to London, but that's almost solely been from conversations, networking, and outside lectures, seminars, and conferences in or around London that I've been to or been involved with.

My alternative plan may be to study something like Maths & Physics at the Open University (I do love Philosophy, but I have managed to teach myself fairly well in it, so not studying it formally as an undergrad is less of a problem) but I am unsure of how well this would work. With regard to funding, one great benefit of the OU is that their fees are cheaper so I wouldn't struggle as much as if I were reapplying to do PhysPhil at another UK university. On the other hand, I do not not know how much funding I would get, or whether I'd have to move back home. Would I still be able to live in London? Would I still get a grant or loan?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    Have you looked at the units for your second and third years yet? They may be more geared towards your personal interests.

Beware of judging an entire degree course by the first year content. In most degrees, the first year is designed to bring everyone up to the same level of basic knowledge. This could mean rehashing subjects already known to some students. In many degrees, your first year marks don't count towards your final result for that reason, amongst others. That way, you all go into your second year (your first "real" qualifying degree percentages) with the best possible underpinning skillset.

Check out the modules and options for your second year. Do they actually look more promising?

First year is always easy. Most humanity subjects are easy to pass with little effort. I'd say ask your tutors for guidance because clearly you're feeling under stimulated by the course and need more of a challenge... Generally I would not reccommend dropping your subject to go for OU math & Physics which is a completely different subject (and you might end up feeling very bored on this course too).

However if you feel this is really want you were meant to be doing, and that it'll benefit your career and passion in the long run, do it! But still, ask someone for advice because they can help you figure out if this is the right choice for you.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by RussellsParadox)
    With regard to funding, one great benefit of the OU is that their fees are cheaper so I wouldn't struggle as much as if I were reapplying to do PhysPhil at another UK university. On the other hand, I do not not know how much funding I would get, or whether I'd have to move back home. Would I still be able to live in London? Would I still get a grant or loan?
    All OU degrees are considered part-time by student finance (even if you are studying full-time), this means you won't get any grants or have access to maintenance loans. If you wanted to stay in London, you would have to find a job to support yourself - and frankly, if you were willing and able to support yourself in London then Birkbeck College (which is part of the University of London) is a much better alternative to part-time study than the OU.

University open days

• University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Bournemouth University
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.