Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Recently I was searching for truth.
    I was searching for it in really serious books. In that kind of serious writings each fact should be provided by relevant proof or reference, like when we write an essay. But those books also reference, and the references they use also reference something else.
    For me it sounds almost as ridiculous as if I were seriously claiming something, like "This guy told, that that guy told, that one person said, that someone else mentioned".
    In this case what we call truth is just many times repeated quote. And the "authenticity" of any statement is just basically how far it goes into referencing.

ReputationRep:
    From what I've learnt about researching and referencing - Use credible sources, and find the origin of the reference.

If it's something factual then there could have been studies and peer-reviewed journals on it, these things don't get published until it's been heavily reviewed. But of course that doesn't mean it can't be wrong, but everything in a journal article is a direct result from studies, tests and surveys, the value is in the interpretation of the results.

Teachers like to say that you shouldn't use Wikipedia as a source, and they would be right, but that doesn't mean you can't start from there. A false edit on Wiki is very swiftly changed so a lot of it is pretty good quality, follow the references, then follow those references and so on until you find the source of your information.

The biggest mistake is to take the first thing you read as fact and undeniable truth, especially when it comes to news.

ReputationRep:
    get as many sources as possible
    ask as many questions as possible
    weigh it based on your own understanding

well done you've done the best job based on evaluating the info you have that's already been written

now if you can

(say your doing nat science)

dare to use your own understanding

always follow the chain

X claims Descartes was born in 1596. Where does X get their information from? Birth documents etc, see if you can get these if you have reason to doubt, then check the validity of the Birth documents, how are these made and processed? do I have any reason to doubt the authenticity

the key is to follow the chain of causes, everything has a sufficient reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
    From what I've learnt about researching and referencing - Use credible sources, and find the origin of the reference.

If it's something factual then there could have been studies and peer-reviewed journals on it, these things don't get published until it's been heavily reviewed. But of course that doesn't mean it can't be wrong, but everything in a journal article is a direct result from studies, tests and surveys, the value is in the interpretation of the results.

Teachers like to say that you shouldn't use Wikipedia as a source, and they would be right, but that doesn't mean you can't start from there. A false edit on Wiki is very swiftly changed so a lot of it is pretty good quality, follow the references, then follow those references and so on until you find the source of your information.

The biggest mistake is to take the first thing you read as fact and undeniable truth, especially when it comes to news.
    Truth. But it actually strange how teachers and tutors hate Wikipedia!) I always used it to find more sources and I believe that the fact that a lot of people edit it makes it more reliable, it's like an artificial selection.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coboy)
    Truth. But it actually strange how teachers and tutors hate Wikipedia!) I always used it to find more sources and I believe that the fact that a lot of people edit it makes it more reliable, it's like an artificial selection.
    They dislike it because so many kids at school list it as their reference, I feel like an important thing to have a short lesson on is how to use wiki for research and how to follow sources to their origin (Or at least as far as you can)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DErasmus)
    get as many sources as possible
    ask as many questions as possible
    weigh it based on your own understanding

well done you've done the best job based on evaluating the info you have that's already been written

now if you can

(say your doing nat science)

dare to use your own understanding

always follow the chain

X claims Descartes was born in 1596. Where does X get their information from? Birth documents etc, see if you can get these if you have reason to doubt, then check the validity of the Birth documents, how are these made and processed? do I have any reason to doubt the authenticity

the key is to follow the chain of causes, everything has a sufficient reason.
    I never heard of a place that can give access to documentation from centuries ago
    And even if there is some, the power that knowledge gives you is too precious too share it with someone else) Historical facts can be manipulated quite easily, depending on what you are interested in, people don't actually know what happened 50 years ago, nothing to say about almost 500 years)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coboy)
    I never heard of a place that can give access to documentation from centuries ago
    And even if there is some, the power that knowledge gives you is too precious too share it with someone else) Historical facts can be manipulated quite easily, depending on what you are interested in, people don't actually know what happened 50 years ago, nothing to say about almost 500 years)
    Documentation from centuries ago? There are an enormous amount of primary sources out there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
    They dislike it because so many kids at school list it as their reference, I feel like an important thing to have a short lesson on is how to use wiki for research and how to follow sources to their origin (Or at least as far as you can)
    Each time i asked a teacher why can't we use Wiki, the answer was pretty much like "In our time we didn't had that information! We went to the library and had a massive amount of work to do!" Of course, it's more about research skills, which you simply won't have if you don't go further first page of the Google search, but that's what I call jealousy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DErasmus)
    Documentation from centuries ago? There are an enormous amount of primary sources out there.

Books are still written by people, so an old book won't be better than Daily Mail post. Or what do you mean by primary sources? history is pretty much written by the victors, right? It's all should be really subjective

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by coboy)
    Each time i asked a teacher why can't we use Wiki, the answer was pretty much like "In our time we didn't had that information! We went to the library and had a massive amount of work to do!" Of course, it's more about research skills, which you simply won't have if you don't go further first page of the Google search, but that's what I call jealousy
    If a teacher is using the "Boohoo but we didn't have that" excuse then they're far too behind times. Books are great to some extent but the internet holds so much more, and at times less biased information. You also get multiple points of view and updated information.

Internet research skills is a modern thing, and it needs to get taught properly.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.