GCSE/A level questions and advice would be helpful! Watch

username1692103
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Jeez. So right now i'm doing my GCSE's, tbh they seem like a joke. Honestly if I had a choice i'd drop everything right now and just study maths,economics,physics and business. They're all I care about anyway. BUT I can't...

ON TOPIC:
So I was curious how much do these ugly things actually count for? So my first question is this:

When applying to a university how much of a % will A-Levels count for and how much of a % will GCSE's count for? So what will be the overruling factor?
I find my other subjects boring and therefore near impossible to study I only want to scrape B's in everything and of course would love the juicy A's in maths,physics etc.

But would that be consider as not putting work in? "Slacking?". I couldn't care less how environmentally friendly Britain is and I'm pretty sure my future employer won't either. But how effective will my GCSE's be in determining my life considering I want to go to Oxford or an equivalent and get straight A's if not A*'s in my A levels?

Thanks and all the best! Also would love to hear REAL life examples! Thank you very much.

TL;DR: How much of an effect does GCSE grades have on your life?
Interrobang
  • Volunteer Team
  • Peer Support Volunteers
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Moved to Applications
German123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Calzs34)
Jeez. So right now i'm doing my GCSE's, tbh they seem like a joke. Honestly if I had a choice i'd drop everything right now and just study maths,economics,physics and business. They're all I care about anyway. BUT I can't...

ON TOPIC:
So I was curious how much do these ugly things actually count for? So my first question is this:

When applying to a university how much of a % will A-Levels count for and how much of a % will GCSE's count for? So what will be the overruling factor?
I find my other subjects boring and therefore near impossible to study I only want to scrape B's in everything and of course would love the juicy A's in maths,physics etc.

But would that be consider as not putting work in? "Slacking?". I couldn't care less how environmentally friendly Britain is and I'm pretty sure my future employer won't either. But how effective will my GCSE's be in determining my life considering I want to go to Oxford or an equivalent and get straight A's if not A*'s in my A levels?

Thanks and all the best! Also would love to hear REAL life examples! Thank you very much.

GCSEs can have a big impact on you for example the A levels you get to study or the Uni you go to. If you try hard know you will be happy and get rewarded as hard work always pays of believe it or not.
chidchilli
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
If you want to go to Oxford you really need to be doing more than trying to scrape mostly B's... Your up against straight A students.

Posted from TSR Mobile
coffeecakey
Badges: 6
Report 4 years ago
GCSE marks are generally the best way to judge how hard working a student is / naturally good at learning (though there are exceptions of course).
They are more of a 'track record' for Universities to see how consistent your grades are. There is no % Universities rule by, they just want to know if you're a reliable student. Whilst most admissions will look at your A level predictions, predictions can be backed up with good grade history!

If you're going to Oxford, they'll probably be looking for students who are cream of the crop. You'll be compared to other students with straight A*s, and I can guarantee you they got it even for subjects they disliked.

Anyway in the end it is only GCSE so it probably doesn't matter that much, but being happy with just 'scraping by' is generally not something you'd want to admit to Oxford admissions

TLDR: Try your best anyway even in subjects you dislike.
506rl
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

ON TOPIC:

The most important thing when applying to uni is your predicted grades/AS grades. HOWEVER. If you don't have a good number of GCSEs with decent marks they might be skeptical to consider you as they wouldn't know whether or not the predicted grades are realiable and they wouldn't be sure if your AS levels would just be a fluke.

So I'd say carry on doing your GCSEs. If you're doing, for example, 13 GCSEs, and you absolutely hate some of them, it should be okay to drop a couple of them (depending on the school), but if you're doing for example 8 GCSEs, I would reccomend carrying them all on. Trust me, even if you hate them, you dropping loads of GCSEs will be something you will probably regret when it comes to uni applications, etc.

It is up to you, but the whole point in GCSEs is basically to give students a well rounded basic education on a range of subjects. Yes, maybe you think a few of them will be completely useless to you later on, but in terms of seeming like a dedicated and intelligent person, the more GCSEs, the better.
SlowlorisIncognito
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

ON TOPIC:

University applications aren't standard- so some universities value GCSEs more than others. Imperial is one of the top universities that has a reputation for focusing a lot on GCSEs. It will also probably depend a bit on the course you chose to apply for.

Don't forget that your grades aren't the only thing universities look at. They will also take into account your PS and your reference. If you stay on at the same school for sixthform, slacking off at GCSE level could lead to your reference not being as good as it could be. Equally, if you don't do well in your GCSEs, you might be limited in the A-levels you can take.

If you really want a top university, you're going to be up against a lot of people who have excellent grades at GCSE and A-level, as well as a good PS and reference. That's not to say you won't get a chance, just that competitive universities have to cut down applications some how, and poor GCSEs could be a reason.

That said, if you think by slacking off you will still achieve B grades in everything, then B grades at GCSE won't hold you back. The one subject it's probably worth putting a bit more effort into is English language, because if you miss the B in this, it will severely limit your university options. If you're taking a MFL, it's probably worth ensuring you put some work into that too as some universities prefer applicants offering a decent MFL grade.

Also, even at uni level, and certainly when you get a job, you will have to do things that are boring at least some of the time, so learning to work at things which are boring is probably a useful life skill to develop a bit.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.84%
No - but I will (114)
7.83%
No - I don't want to (102)
7.01%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (689)
47.32%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed