Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I am applying for English and noticed in my personal statement I said 'English literature' - I'm not sure if this is right or not. I feel like it should be English Literature. I've had it checked by loads of teachers, including those in the English department, but we must have all glanced past it. Unless it is right? Would this be a really big deal if it isn't? It worries me since I'm hoping to study English. Would they forgive a minor error like this? This also applies for if I misused/missed out a comma or something in any part of my personal statement.

Is it one of those things where it could be debated whether or not it is a capital letter or not? One of the teachers at my school argues subjects that are not foreign languages should not use capital letters, but then the English department disagree. Is 'English literature' acceptable/right? I suppose I am confused as it is both a title of a subject but also could just be literature which is English.
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by screamadelica)
    I am applying for English and noticed in my personal statement I said 'English literature' - I'm not sure if this is right or not. I feel like it should be English Literature. I've had it checked by loads of teachers, including those in the English department, but we must have all glanced past it. Would this be a really big deal? It worries me since I'm hoping to study English. Would they forgive a minor error like this?
    No, it won't matter at all. It's unlikely they'll even notice it.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    I am applying for English and noticed in my personal statement I said 'English literature' - I'm not sure if this is right or not. I feel like it should be English Literature. I've had it checked by loads of teachers, including those in the English department, but we must have all glanced past it. Unless it is right? Would this be a really big deal if it isn't? It worries me since I'm hoping to study English. Would they forgive a minor error like this? Or is it one of those things where it could be debated whether or not it is a capital letter or not? One of the teachers at my school argues subjects that are not foreign languages should not use capital letters, but then the English department disagree. Is 'English literature' acceptable/right?
    Literature is not a proper noun. Unless at the start of a sentence it should not be capitalised.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Literature is not a proper noun. Unless at the start of a sentence it should not be capitalised.
    Thank you very much. As you were writing this, I edited the original text questioning whether it wouldn't need a capital letter because it is simply literature which is English. I suppose I was just confused because it also could double-up as the title of a subject at school. Thank you very much for the clarification.
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Thank you very much. As you were writing this, I edited the original text questioning whether it wouldn't need a capital letter because it is simply literature which is English. I suppose I was just confused because it also could double-up as the title of a subject at school. Thank you very much for the clarification.
    Even as a subject it shouldn't be capitalised. There's a tendency for people to capitalise subjects simply because they study them so think they're important.

A specific qualification *could* be a proper noun (eg BA English Literature) but that would be specific mention of a qualification and NOT just talking about English lit as a subject.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    Even as a subject it shouldn't be capitalised. There's a tendency for people to capitalise subjects simply because they study them so think they're important.

A specific qualification *could* be a proper noun (eg BA English Literature) but that would be specific mention of a qualification and NOT just talking about English lit as a subject.
    Ah, this makes perfect sense. I was a bit confused because I was told otherwise but then would look at university websites with their degrees and notice they had capitalised them in sentences. Thank you very much for all of your advice. Regardless of it being wrong, would subjects being capitalised in an application for English be frowned upon or perhaps overlooked because I am only at sixth form level and we haven't really been taught about proper capitalisation or things like that?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Ah, this makes perfect sense. I was a bit confused because I was told otherwise but then would look at university websites with their degrees and notice they had capitalised them in sentences. Thank you very much for all of your advice. Regardless of it being wrong, would subjects being capitalised in an application for English be frowned upon or perhaps overlooked because I am only at sixth form level and we haven't really been taught about proper capitalisation or things like that?
    It doesn't really make much difference either way. Enough applicants capitalise subjects (and admissions staff do the same :rolleyes: ) that it isn't a mistake that is likely to cause any problems.

ReputationRep:
    I've sent mine with "an", instead of "a" (more major than capital letter mistake!) and it didn't affect my offers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    It doesn't really make much difference either way. Enough applicants capitalise subjects (and admissions staff do the same :rolleyes: ) that it isn't a mistake that is likely to cause any problems.
    Haha I'm glad! I just really want offers and it's only been two days and I'm very impatient and as I wait I notice I have become very unconfident.

(Original post by Citipati)
    I've sent mine with "an", instead of "a" (more major than capital letter mistake!) and it didn't affect my offers.
    That's really great to hear - even my English teachers left some mistakes in my personal statement I had to try to correct and ask them if it was correct!

(Original post by Chlorophile)
    No, it won't matter at all. It's unlikely they'll even notice it.
    I hope so!

ReputationRep:
    Haha I'm glad! I just really want offers and it's only been two days and I'm very impatient and as I wait I notice I have become very unconfident.

That's really great to hear - even my English teachers left some mistakes in my personal statement I had to try to correct and ask them if it was correct!

I hope so!
    I believe that my tutor didn't even glance at the application! There's an annoying anaphora of "read" and "to" instead of "of". Oh ah, I was worried too, for no reason.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Citipati)
    I believe that my tutor didn't even glance at the application! There's an annoying anaphora of "read" and "to" instead of "of". Oh ah, I was worried too, for no reason.
    Hopefully I can get a positive reply from a uni to reassure me soon, I swear I'll stop looking at my personal statement that I can no longer amend from now on haha

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.