Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    There seemed to be several questions on here about joining ULOTC/other UOTCs... Here is some information for anyone interested!

• What is the ULOTC?

The ULOTC, or University of London Officers Training Corps, is a student society and Army Reserve unit based in central London. Its purpose is to offer a taste of Army life to students attending university in London. This means it includes military training, as well as great social, sports and outdoor activity opportunities. Our Army website http://www.army.mod.uk/UOTC/30763.aspx and Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/ulotc more information.

• Who can join?

Anyone at university between the ages of 18 and 25 can join. You don’t have to be in your first year, but you need to have at least two years left on your course. You need to be a British Citizen, or a Commonwealth Citizen with leave to remain, or an Irish National; you will also need indefinite leave to remain or indefinite leave to enter. Full entry requirements can be found here: http://www.army.mod.uk/UOTC/32107.aspx

• Can I only join if I want to be an Officer?

No, and in fact most people who join go on to civilian rather than military careers. ULOTC is great if you’re thinking about commissioning after university, either as a Regular or a Reserve Officer, but it also looks great on your CV; it demonstrates dedication, hard work and leadership.

• Do I get paid?

Yes! You’ll be paid as a Reservist in the ULOTC; current pay for first year Officer Cadets is £39.38 for a full day. Pay for attending a Tuesday night training evening is 25% of a full day’s pay, while you’ll receive 250% of this for a training weekend (£98.45). You’ll be paid for your time whether you’ve been doing military training, social events and sports. There is also a ‘bounty’ of £148 you earn for completing Annual Training Package (on top of the pay you’ll earn each day). Depending on how much of the military and optional training you do, you could earn up to £4500 per year.

The Army Reserve will also reimburse most of the cost of your travel to and from training, if your journey is over three miles each way.

• Will I have to join the Army after university?

You will NOT be required to join the Army after university. As a student in the ULOTC, you CANNOT be mobilised or deployed for active service. Of course, you’re expected to be committed and attend training as often as possible, but your university studies come first. If you find it’s not for you, you can leave at any time and for any reason. So don’t panic!

• How much time do I need to commit?

A lot of people are put off because they think it will impact their studies. We only ask that you commit to one night a week, Tuesdays between 1830 and 2100, at our Army Reserve Centres in either Russell Square (Central London) or Canterbury (Kent). On top of this there is a monthly training weekend from Friday afternoon until Sunday evening. There are seven training weekends between October and March and you should make an effort to attend them all. That’s it!

• What does the training involve?

As a first year Officer Cadet, training evenings on Tuesdays are where you’ll learn the basics of soldiering and tactics. On weekend exercises you’ll put the skills you have learned into practice and be stretched physically and mentally. Second year Officer Cadets practice leadership while third years assume command of the newly joined first years. There is also a two-week continuous Annual Training Package in the summer, which is the culmination of the year’s training.
    In addition to this training, there are also many voluntary ‘Adventurous Training’ or AT expeditions organised throughout the year, allowing you to take part in things as diverse as skiing, outdoor rock climbing, sailing and mountaineering. As part of the ULOTC you’ll be paid for any AT expeditions you take part in.

• Are there medical requirements?

You’ll need to pass a medical to join the ULOTC, to make sure you’re medically able to undergo training. It’s usually nothing to worry about; you can check our medical requirements here. http://www.army.mod.uk/UOTC/32107.aspx

• What about fitness?

We’re students first and not soldiers, and we don’t expect everyone who joins us to be athletes. That said, the fitter you are, the more you’ll get out of your time with us. People who aren’t as fit as they’d like but are eager to improve are welcome. Army-trained PTIs can offer advice and training, and we have a free gym on-site.

• What’s involved in the Selection Weekend?

Our Selection Weekend is to make sure the people joining are right for the ULOTC, and that we’re right for them. It will generally involve a variety of physical and mental activities to get a rough idea of a person’s ability. It’s also where you’ll get to know your platoon for the year so we make it a really good social introduction to the ULOTC, too. It really isn’t anything to be worried about!

• Does my pay rise over time?

Yes. After completing B Company (your second year of training), your pay will rise to £46.72 per day, and your bounty rises to £173.
    Additionally, if you do go on to be successful in Army Reserve Officer selection, as some do, then pay rises to £63.32 a day, upon gaining a commission in the Army Reserve your pay rises to £76.11.

• This all sounds great. How do I join?

We’re at a number of Fresher’s fairs across London every September/October. You can come along and have a chat with one of our Officer Cadets, but this isn’t a requirement.
    We also hold yearly Introduction Evenings at our Army Reserve Centre, the full details of which can be found on our Facebook page. At these evenings you’ll get an idea of what the ULOTC is and what you’ll get to do if you join. Afterwards our on-site bar will be open for an informal drink. You’ll need to come along to an Introduction Evening in order to join the ULOTC.
    Finally, as mentioned above, we have a Selection Weekend where we test potential Officer Cadets in a number of ways. To join the ULOTC in any given year, you must attend the selection weekend.

Websites and contact information

www.facebook.com/ulotc
    www.army.mod.uk/UOTC/30763.aspx
    Email: [email protected]
    Telephone: 020 7414 3846

London unit
    Yeomanry House, Handel Street
    London
    WC1N 1NP

Canterbury company
    Leros Barracks, Sturry Road
    Canterbury, Kent
    CT1 1HR

Best wishes!
    - a ULOTC Officer Cadet

ReputationRep:
    Sweet work. Imma sticky this.

ReputationRep:
    If it's going to be stickied can we make it generic and cover all OTCs?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by k0917618)
    There seemed to be several questions on here about joining ULOTC/other UOTCs... Here is some information for anyone interested!

• What is the ULOTC?

The ULOTC, or University of London Officers Training Corps, is a student society and Army Reserve unit based in central London. Its purpose is to offer a taste of Army life to students attending university in London. This means it includes military training, as well as great social, sports and outdoor activity opportunities. Our Army website http://www.army.mod.uk/UOTC/30763.aspx and Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/ulotc more information.

• Who can join?

Anyone at university between the ages of 18 and 25 can join. You don’t have to be in your first year, but you need to have at least two years left on your course. You need to be a British Citizen, or a Commonwealth Citizen with leave to remain, or an Irish National; you will also need indefinite leave to remain or indefinite leave to enter. Full entry requirements can be found here: http://www.army.mod.uk/UOTC/32107.aspx

• Can I only join if I want to be an Officer?

No, and in fact most people who join go on to civilian rather than military careers. ULOTC is great if you’re thinking about commissioning after university, either as a Regular or a Reserve Officer, but it also looks great on your CV; it demonstrates dedication, hard work and leadership.

• Do I get paid?

Yes! You’ll be paid as a Reservist in the ULOTC; current pay for first year Officer Cadets is £39.38 for a full day. Pay for attending a Tuesday night training evening is 25% of a full day’s pay, while you’ll receive 250% of this for a training weekend (£98.45). You’ll be paid for your time whether you’ve been doing military training, social events and sports. There is also a ‘bounty’ of £148 you earn for completing Annual Training Package (on top of the pay you’ll earn each day). Depending on how much of the military and optional training you do, you could earn up to £4500 per year.

The Army Reserve will also reimburse most of the cost of your travel to and from training, if your journey is over three miles each way.

• Will I have to join the Army after university?

You will NOT be required to join the Army after university. As a student in the ULOTC, you CANNOT be mobilised or deployed for active service. Of course, you’re expected to be committed and attend training as often as possible, but your university studies come first. If you find it’s not for you, you can leave at any time and for any reason. So don’t panic!

• How much time do I need to commit?

A lot of people are put off because they think it will impact their studies. We only ask that you commit to one night a week, Tuesdays between 1830 and 2100, at our Army Reserve Centres in either Russell Square (Central London) or Canterbury (Kent). On top of this there is a monthly training weekend from Friday afternoon until Sunday evening. There are seven training weekends between October and March and you should make an effort to attend them all. That’s it!

• What does the training involve?

As a first year Officer Cadet, training evenings on Tuesdays are where you’ll learn the basics of soldiering and tactics. On weekend exercises you’ll put the skills you have learned into practice and be stretched physically and mentally. Second year Officer Cadets practice leadership while third years assume command of the newly joined first years. There is also a two-week continuous Annual Training Package in the summer, which is the culmination of the year’s training.
    In addition to this training, there are also many voluntary ‘Adventurous Training’ or AT expeditions organised throughout the year, allowing you to take part in things as diverse as skiing, outdoor rock climbing, sailing and mountaineering. As part of the ULOTC you’ll be paid for any AT expeditions you take part in.

• Are there medical requirements?

You’ll need to pass a medical to join the ULOTC, to make sure you’re medically able to undergo training. It’s usually nothing to worry about; you can check our medical requirements here. http://www.army.mod.uk/UOTC/32107.aspx

• What about fitness?

We’re students first and not soldiers, and we don’t expect everyone who joins us to be athletes. That said, the fitter you are, the more you’ll get out of your time with us. People who aren’t as fit as they’d like but are eager to improve are welcome. Army-trained PTIs can offer advice and training, and we have a free gym on-site.

• What’s involved in the Selection Weekend?

Our Selection Weekend is to make sure the people joining are right for the ULOTC, and that we’re right for them. It will generally involve a variety of physical and mental activities to get a rough idea of a person’s ability. It’s also where you’ll get to know your platoon for the year so we make it a really good social introduction to the ULOTC, too. It really isn’t anything to be worried about!

• Does my pay rise over time?

Yes. After completing B Company (your second year of training), your pay will rise to £46.72 per day, and your bounty rises to £173.
    Additionally, if you do go on to be successful in Army Reserve Officer selection, as some do, then pay rises to £63.32 a day, upon gaining a commission in the Army Reserve your pay rises to £76.11.

• This all sounds great. How do I join?

We’re at a number of Fresher’s fairs across London every September/October. You can come along and have a chat with one of our Officer Cadets, but this isn’t a requirement.
    We also hold yearly Introduction Evenings at our Army Reserve Centre, the full details of which can be found on our Facebook page. At these evenings you’ll get an idea of what the ULOTC is and what you’ll get to do if you join. Afterwards our on-site bar will be open for an informal drink. You’ll need to come along to an Introduction Evening in order to join the ULOTC.
    Finally, as mentioned above, we have a Selection Weekend where we test potential Officer Cadets in a number of ways. To join the ULOTC in any given year, you must attend the selection weekend.

Websites and contact information

www.facebook.com/ulotc
    www.army.mod.uk/UOTC/30763.aspx
    Email: [email protected]
    Telephone: 020 7414 3846

London unit
    Yeomanry House, Handel Street
    London
    WC1N 1NP

Canterbury company
    Leros Barracks, Sturry Road
    Canterbury, Kent
    CT1 1HR

Best wishes!
    - a ULOTC Officer Cadet
    Is ULOTC affiliated with the Royal Fusiliers? My CCF contingent (Mill Hill School CCF) is also part of the Royal fusiliers.

Also do ranks obtained in CCF carry over at all to the ULOTC?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by Grespino)
    Is ULOTC affiliated with the Royal Fusiliers? My CCF contingent (Mill Hill School CCF) is also part of the Royal fusiliers.

Also do ranks obtained in CCF carry over at all to the ULOTC?
    Have you looked at the ULOTC website to see if you can see their cap badges?

No, CCF ranks do not carry over. The CCF is a youth organisation aimed at showing children some of the aspects of life and the skills of the Armed Forces. The ranks are soldier ranks. The OTC is for potential officers or civilian adults of similar calibre.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by threeportdrift)
    Have you looked at the ULOTC website to see if you can see their cap badges?

No, CCF ranks do not carry over. The CCF is a youth organisation aimed at showing children some of the aspects of life and the skills of the Armed Forces. The ranks are soldier ranks. The OTC is for potential officers or civilian adults of similar calibre.
    Also my Arkwright mentor said that in his time in the reserves he got a skiing qualification, is that obtainable in UOTC?
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    Also my Arkwright mentor said that in his time in the reserves he got a skiing qualification, is that obtainable in UOTC?
    All sorts of opportunities exist, if you earn them by putting in the effort on parade night. Whether the opportunity for a specific skiing qualification comes up depends on how much interest there is in the unit, and pot luck. It's not part of any syllabus or anything that happens routinely.

ReputationRep:
    All sorts of opportunities exist, if you earn them by putting in the effort on parade night. Whether the opportunity for a specific skiing qualification comes up depends on how much interest there is in the unit, and pot luck. It's not part of any syllabus or anything that happens routinely.
    cool I'm trying to work out what to do with my life post year 13. I have slightly failed a level maths and am trying to find alternative qualifications that satisfy entry requirements (I want to MEng in Electrical Engineering @UCL). I was thinking of maybe doing some sort of army related apprenticeship for engineering as a replacement to Maths A Level. I am struggling to find something which won't make me become a regular
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    cool I'm trying to work out what to do with my life post year 13. I have slightly failed a level maths and am trying to find alternative qualifications that satisfy entry requirements (I want to MEng in Electrical Engineering @UCL). I was thinking of maybe doing some sort of army related apprenticeship for engineering as a replacement to Maths A Level. I am struggling to find something which won't make me become a regular
    That won't work I'm afraid, the tax payer isn't going to pay for a soldier that won't fight! The best way is to get the maths A level sorted, then everything else will drop into place. You have to be at Uni anyway, to join the OTC.

ReputationRep:
    That won't work I'm afraid, the tax payer isn't going to pay for a soldier that won't fight! The best way is to get the maths A level sorted, then everything else will drop into place. You have to be at Uni anyway, to join the OTC.
    cool, cool, I want to do a bunch of work with UAV/UASs so outcome will maybe help with getting connections in the army

ReputationRep:
    cool, cool, I want to do a bunch of work with UAV/UASs so outcome will maybe help with getting connections in the army
    Just in case I'm not quite following your thread correctly, are you looking for something equal to A level maths that can be provided by the Army so you can get in to UCL to study electrical engineering?

If that is what you are after then I know of no other way of achieving that less for becoming a regular member of the Armed Forces.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NFI)
    Just in case I'm not quite following your thread correctly, are you looking for something equal to A level maths that can be provided by the Army so you can get in to UCL to study electrical engineering?

If that is what you are after then I know of no other way of achieving that less for becoming a regular member of the Armed Forces.
    no not the above

ReputationRep:
    no not the above
    Can you reword what is it you are looking for information on then please as so far we've gone from skiing qualifications to UAVs to an equivalent apprenticeship for maths A level.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NFI)
    Can you reword what is it you are looking for information on then please as so far we've gone from skiing qualifications to UAVs to an equivalent apprenticeship for maths A level.
    I'm not looking for any info it was just my finishing post

ReputationRep:
    Persuade me to join the ULOTC vs ULAS

ReputationRep:
    Join the UAS.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: March 16, 2017
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to the armed forcesGuide to the Royal Air ForceA job in the Army

Featured recruiter profiles:

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Quick Link:

Unanswered Armed Forces Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.