Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hopefully this is the right place, was going to put it in Health but wasn't sure...

Basically, started University 3 weeks ago, and after freshers week, lectures began et al - I'm finding it impossible to stay awake in lectures. I'm getting enough sleep and eating well, but I'm worried that I'm just not into my course enough to get through the whole 3 years, does anyone know anything aside from pro plus that could keep me awake?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Sit at the front, dont sit at the back where you cant be seen. That will hopefully encourage you to stay awake if the lecturer can see you!

Im sure it will get better, in the first year lectures tend to be really boring because you're getting all the introductory info you need.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by adverse_reaction)
    Sit at the front, dont sit at the back where you cant be seen. That will hopefully encourage you to stay awake if the lecturer can see you!
    Or, like me, you could fall asleep anyway right infront of your lecturer and see him glaring at you in the fleeting moments when you are awake.

Red Bull is your friend. Lots of it.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I find that I drift off during lectures, especially those that exceed 1 hour. It's rubbish!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I keep drifting off too. I swear it's got something to do with the fact that the lecture theatres are the only adequately heated rooms (including hall rooms), so the novelty of being properly warm for the first time all day just does for me.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.relentlessenergy.com/

a can or two of this should sort you out

ReputationRep:
    My friend has fallen asleep in every single lecture that he's had. Even if he's not at all tired. Spooky.

I heard somewhere about these super-mints that give the same caffeine boost as a coffee. Maybe that is the answer?

ReputationRep:
    We have lectures from 2pm to 5pm on a Friday afternoon and the air conditioning has often been really warm leaving that cosy "I think I'll take a nap" feel. It's awful...

To be honest I'm not sure caffeine is the best way forward and I know it'll sound uber-healthy but drinking water and eating bananas (or chocolate if you fancy) can help just as much. Mainly that's because I don't really drink tea and I find coffee disgusting...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RyanW67)
    Hopefully this is the right place, was going to put it in Health but wasn't sure...

Basically, started University 3 weeks ago, and after freshers week, lectures began et al - I'm finding it impossible to stay awake in lectures. I'm getting enough sleep and eating well, but I'm worried that I'm just not into my course enough to get through the whole 3 years, does anyone know anything aside from pro plus that could keep me awake?

Thanks
    I'm in the same position. Today the lecturer was telling us how to work out averages...:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Coffee + Pro Plus + Ice. Repeat.

I must admit thought, lecture halls are fantastically easy to fall asleep in, especially with padded seats and the lights down.

ReputationRep:
    Anything you take to help you stay awake isn't doing you any good. It's merely 'delaying' your tiredness, not cancelling it.

What sort of times have you been going to bed at night? Have you been drinking lots of alcohol? All these are factors which you should take into account.

The best thing you can do is get into a decent sleep pattern - going to bed and waking up at the same time each day.

Sam

ReputationRep:
    You may be sleeping okay now, but think how many hours in total you missed during Freshers. Don't worry, your body is still just catching up.

ReputationRep:
    I sympathise completely, woke up to someone prodding me in a grammar lecture this week!!!

ReputationRep:
    Pro plus. But don't OD on it, or you'll get bad indigestion. Oh, and possibly die. Just don't do that. Honestly.

ReputationRep:
    Just don't go to lectures, they aren't that important.

ReputationRep:
    I wear light clothes, so as to be a bit cold in lecture theatres which I find keeps me awake.

Don't overdo it and get hypothermia though.

ReputationRep:
    Love the games, specially Tap Tap Tap in exams!!!!

ReputationRep:
    I find that if its too warm it makes me feel sleepy. I was really tired sitting in the first few lectures and yet i would go outside and walk around and suddenly feel fine.

Part of it was down to the fact that i was not eating much, eat not just well but plenty of it plus drink lots of water and get plenty of sleep, i am always awake before my alarm goes off, just lieing in bed. If your not waking up naturaly then i dont think your sleeping enough.

I find my biggest problem is procrasinating during lectures. I have not had any proper ones yet since im on induction week, we have had some lab time and working in groups and we have started our self taught maths module (im doing enigneering) had our first test today, i got full marks, im just hoping i will be able to pay attention well in lectures next week.

Edit: If im tired im tired, sitting at the front does not keep me awake though i do find it helps me concentrate since i am prone to 'drifting off in to my own little world' :p:

ReputationRep:
    Whats goin on ive seen so many threads about this fresher thing... i know a fresher is a student in his/her first yr at uni or college but wats wrong with it... wat has it got to do with a flu
    IM CONFUSED!!!!!!

ReputationRep:
    ah ah ah ah staying alive, staying alive

sorry, i had to let it out

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.