Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    If two objects of exact same surface area/shape, but of different masses are dropped on the Earth, which one hits the ground first? I was under the impression they would hit the floor at the same time, however in the physics textbook it says that the air resistance on the one with lower mass has a greater effect on it due to its lower weight.

Would be awesome if anyone has any input on this, thanks!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Cipherhythm)
    If two objects of exact same surface area/shape, but of different masses are dropped on the Earth, which one hits the ground first? I was under the impression they would hit the floor at the same time, however in the physics textbook it says that the air resistance on the one with lower mass has a greater effect on it due to its lower weight.

Would be awesome if anyone has any input on this, thanks!
    I'm not 100% sure but here's my input. An object's weight is directly proportional to its mass. The drag force depends on a number of things but not on weight. Therefore, the drag force on two objects with the same surface area and shape travelling at the same velocity would be equal. The acceleration due to gravity is constant but as a=F/m, the decelerative effect of the drag would be greater for the lighter object than for the heavier object. So for the same velocity, my guess is that the heavier object would be accelerating at a slightly greater rate. I'm not sure how this would work out in the end though because the velocities are all dynamic. Also, the terminal velocities of the two objects will be the same. So even if there is a difference, it will be pretty small.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

As far as I am aware air resistance is not dependant on mass, but more on shape etc (as we see with the classic feather and bowling ball question). Theoretically they will hit the ground at the exact same time, this is because the acceleration due to gravity (9.81 m/s^2) is the same for all objects, it's the force (weight) that changes with mass as F=mg. If they are the exact same shape and surface area I see no reason for the object with less mass to hit the floor first. However, if it's the textbook that has stated this I would show the specific section to your teacher who can probably clear things up a little bit more than I can because maybe it's just a context issue as opposed to a theoretical lack of understanding?

Hope that helps,

Emily

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,

Agh, it's pretty complicated after you consider the relativistic effects, for example, from the heavier objects perspective, it exerts a higher force on the Earth than the lighter one, etc.

My teacher said something along the lines of, the upward air resistance has a greater effect on the object with lower mass due to its lower weight, but to me something still doesn't add up right.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Cipherhythm)
    Hey guys,

Agh, it's pretty complicated after you consider the relativistic effects, for example, from the heavier objects perspective, it exerts a higher force on the Earth than the lighter one, etc.

My teacher said something along the lines of, the upward air resistance has a greater effect on the object with lower mass due to its lower weight, but to me something still doesn't add up right.

Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming
    It's nothing to do with gravity, heavier objects experience a greater gravitational force but they also have a greater mass so the acceleration is constant. The air resistance explanation makes sense but again, the effect would be minute.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.