Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    hi,
    would anyone be able to provide me with a sample reference? my current referee (having never done this before) isn't sure what to include - he's put down my predicted grades from my teachers and some quotes from them, but that's about it

ReputationRep:
    Edit: whoops, mis-interpretation

ReputationRep:
    saw it, but the link was for personal statements, i was looking for a reference template/sample :p:

ReputationRep:
    Usually a reference is compiled together with individual references from each of your subject tutors from the previous year, or someone else who is able to accurately assess your academic capabilites and credentials. For example my reference was composed quite simplistically as the following;
    • 3 paragraphs from my Business Studies teacher.
    • 2 paragraphs from my Computing teacher.
    • 2 paragraphs from my English Language and Literature teacher.

This was then followed by a summary paragraph written personally by my referee, which really explained how appropriate i was for university learning and what my "marketable" features in general for university study.

ReputationRep:
    The reference could also contain some general information about the institution at which you are studying OR which you studied at. For example, if you went to a school with a low GCSE pass rate, this could be mentioned.

ReputationRep:
    Mine was an introductory statement about me, what I do at school-music etc
    Then a paragraph on each subject, then a summary

ReputationRep:
    thanks guys, that's been pretty helpful.

but would anyone be able to provide me with an actual sample? because my referee's written one, but it's got like one-line quotes from my teachers (3) and a couple of lines at the end. it just seems to short for me, so if I could show him a 'real' one it'd help

ReputationRep:
    Can they ever write a bad reference??

ReputationRep:
    No, i think they aren't allowed to write a negative reference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alanis)
    So what on Earth is the point of a refrence then?

I am sure there is some sort of inside Jargon.

ReputationRep:
    Well, firstly it's the predicted grades/actual grades. And then it'll be stuff like what you're like during lessons I guess, your ECs.

I'm not the best person to ask, which is why I'm asking for a sample

ReputationRep:
    My school gave each student sheets of reference paper to be given to their subject tutors to be filled in. The sheets consists of upto 7 questions for each tutor to answer e.g. predicted grades, why you are suitable for do this course?. The references are then given to my referee to be checked. :p:

ReputationRep:
    That's funny as our school has a huge booklet of sample references that are given to all the subject teachers (I don't have a copy thou, sorry ), and theres a beginning and an end paragraph that they put on to all the references (about the institution). hmmm I don't know if it's helpful but my biology teacher sent me hers (I kept bugging her to do it, so she sent me it):

Dipesh has developed an essential understanding of the biological principles taught, demonstrated both in his detailed written and practical work. He is very aware of recent developments in biology and their implications on society and can discuss these in a thought provoking and intelligent manner. He is a prominent member of the Science Debating Society.
    He understands the importance of experimental and investigatory work in the study of biology and has successfully implemented, analyzed and evaluated an investigation on factors that affect enzymes. He has shown an exceptional aptitude to statistical analysis of biological results. He always completes extension and research tasks and produced and presented an excellent power point on coronary heart disease.
    He is a mature, hard working student who is determined to succeed.
    thou it's not exactly that well written(lol), but she did rush it.

ReputationRep:
    Of course they're allowed to write a bad reference. Just check out some other threads. The school can also have "bad admin" and completely ruin your application. (I know of somebody whose application wasn't sent off in the deadline even though she had submitted it in the school's deadline. She kept pestering somebody at admin to write a letter explaining that the delay was their fault, not hers, and that she should be given equal consideration if possible. Don't know what happened.)

My school has 150+ applicants every year and they say they only write something negative "if they absolutely have to", averaging just one or two people a year. So if you haven't been excluded from school for a significant period of time recently, then your reference should be entirely positive.

The reference is also a chance to write about any extenuating circumstances e.g. serious illness during an exam period which caused you to lose grades or skip exams.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alanis)
    Referees are under no obligation to write completely positive references all the time. However, it is usually a College or School convention to accentuate the positive aspects of a candidate, and neglect the negative when writing a reference.

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.