No indictment for Eric Garner's murderer Watch

fatsherry
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Is anybody as appalled as I am by this decision. I am absolutely sickened. This man was choked to death on camera and his murderer is not found guilty. I am so sick and tired of police brutality in America

Posted from TSR Mobile
Isometrix
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
US justice system is a joke
dreadpiraterach
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The police in the US are getting out of hand and the fact that the courts won't do anything about it is sickening. When will it end? How many more people have to die without justice?
thunder_chunky
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
A poor decision to say the least.
fatsherry
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by dreadpiraterach)
The police in the US are getting out of hand and the fact that the courts won't do anything about it is sickening. When will it end? How many more people have to die without justice?
I completely agree with you and what hurts me more is that the man who filmed the murder was indicted. It's really hard to comprehend these things

Posted from TSR Mobile
ZOG smasher
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
His death was a combination of the illegal move used to take him down by the officer, and being a morbidly obese unhealthy man.I wouldn't call him a murderer there's nothing that suggests he meant for him to die. He should be fired but I don't think he's a murderer just an officer who was careless.
arichmond64
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
This is a complete joke, I wasn't exactly either way with the previous incidents in the news recently, but this is incredible, how can these coppers just get away with this scott free.
Snagprophet
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Manslaughter - now legal. This is incredibly stupid, it's not as if there's a possibility this guy was killing in self defence, he grabbed someone who was not an aggressor and killed him. Accident? Probably. Police should not be let off for accidental killings. This is ridiculous.
PresidentTruman
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by dreadpiraterach)
He was a criminal selling and illegal items.
MrMango
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PresidentTruman)
cigarettes aren't illegal LOL

Posted from TSR Mobile
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by PresidentTruman)
Not sure about cigarettes being illegal, but I could accept that selling them on the street without a permit is. However, this does not justify being put in a choke hold.

Like seriously, what is it with police piling on top of someone who would actually go with them. A simpler procedure would be to remove the cigarettes and leave him with a warning and a fine, if he was warned before then maybe arrest him for a couple of days and a larger fine. But dropping him to the ground and pretty much strangling him? That's way out of line.

Well, I say out of line, who knows if that line even exists anymore over there.
MrMango
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
Not sure about cigarettes being illegal, but I could accept that selling them on the street without a permit is. However, this does not justify being put in a choke hold.

Like seriously, what is it with police piling on top of someone who would actually go with them. A simpler procedure would be to remove the cigarettes and leave him with a warning and a fine, if he was warned before then maybe arrest him for a couple of days and a larger fine. But dropping him to the ground and pretty much strangling him? That's way out of line.

Well, I say out of line, who knows if that line even exists anymore over there.
It's clearly a race thing.. I think to deny it wasn't racial would be stupid as hell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
CarlNorthWest
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by fatsherry)
Is anybody as appalled as I am by this decision. I am absolutely sickened. This man was choked to death on camera and his murderer is not found guilty. I am so sick and tired of police brutality in America

Posted from TSR Mobile
Eric Garner is a terrible poster child. He is far from being a perfect victim, which you need to be to enhance your chances of getting justice if you are black

First, Garner is Black.

You lose 70% of White support right there, right off the top.

Second, Garner has a criminal record. That makes it hard for Blacks to support him in a big way. It makes it hard for Whites to see his fate as undeserved.

Third, Garner was a Black man between the ages of 18 to 65. There is no way in hell Whites are going to see him as defenceless, not even if he is unarmed and outnumbered five-to-one by armed men. He is a Black Brute with Superhuman Negro Strength. HE is the threat, not the police. Every single time.

Fourth, Garner was a victim of the police. Whites are afraid of Blacks and depend on the police to keep Them down, to control Them. Blacks push for a strong Review Board but Whites oppose it.

Whites want to give the police a free hand when it comes to Black people. That is why the police are off the chain in the first place. It is not some accident, some overlooked, slip-through-the-cracks thing.

Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by MrMango)
It's clearly a race thing.. I think to deny it wasn't racial would be stupid as hell.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Well obviously it is a race thing
Hazzer2
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
did a blog post about recent deaths of mike brown, tamir rice and eric garner and police brutality in general. sorry to be a **** and plug but i feel it gets across my general viewpoint.

http://realissuesviews.wordpress.com...ty-in-the-usa/

shameless plug but i care a lot about the issue so want people to hear what i have to say
Juichiro
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by CarlNorthWest)
Eric Garner is a terrible poster child. He is far from being a perfect victim, which you need to be to enhance your chances of getting justice if you are black

First, Garner is Black.

You lose 70% of White support right there, right off the top.

Second, Garner has a criminal record. That makes it hard for Blacks to support him in a big way. It makes it hard for Whites to see his fate as undeserved.

Third, Garner was a Black man between the ages of 18 to 65. There is no way in hell Whites are going to see him as defenceless, not even if he is unarmed and outnumbered five-to-one by armed men. He is a Black Brute with Superhuman Negro Strength. HE is the threat, not the police. Every single time.

Fourth, Garner was a victim of the police. Whites are afraid of Blacks and depend on the police to keep Them down, to control Them. Blacks push for a strong Review Board but Whites oppose it.

Whites want to give the police a free hand when it comes to Black people. That is why the police are off the chain in the first place. It is not some accident, some overlooked, slip-through-the-cracks thing.

The reason racism is stupid is because it makes baseless generalisations. You are also making baseless generalisations when you put ALL people of white skin under a certain category by assuming that they all act and think in the same manner. You are not making any favours to Eric's cause.
Truths
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Ruthless Dutchman)
It's not even an arrest appropriate crime. Like vandalism, you are suppose to get fined.
(Original post by ZOG smasher)
His death was a combination of the illegal move used to take him down by the officer, and being a morbidly obese unhealthy man.I wouldn't call him a murderer there's nothing that suggests he meant for him to die. He should be fired but I don't think he's a murderer just an officer who was careless.
Excuse me. I'm pretty sure he died because the officer was cutting off his respiration, not because he was overweight. Anyone can be strangled to death regardless of size. This may not be 1st Degree Murder but this is easily man slaughter. Someone must be held accountable.
JG1233
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Does this send the precedent that during a citizens arrest a person can choke to death a un-aggressive person even if they are committing an extremely minor crime (such as selling fake cigarettes). I can't really see what else happened here, the police officer was grabbing him around the neck ignoring his cries he couldn't breath, and did so until he died. Its not even like he was armed or a clear threat.

I'll guess legally murdering civilians is probably something the court will keep for the police though.
moment of truth
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Its a bloody disgrace.
viddy9
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
The coroner ruled that it was a homicide, and the New York City Police Department explicitly state in their guidelines that a chokehold is completely unacceptable. There was even a video of Garner being murdered, and yet the jury, which I assume was predominantly white, fails to indict this criminal "officer".

The United Nations are right to have recently criticised the United States' record on human rights. This is a completely illogical decision, but in line with the institutional and systematic racism still prevalent in the United States justice system.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (399)
37.64%
No - but I will (82)
7.74%
No - I don't want to (75)
7.08%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (504)
47.55%

Watched Threads