Is an open application better than not when applying to Oxford? Watch

username1370769
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
I know you're probably going to say "Neither is better", which is probably correct.

However, I'm just wondering- would you say you're more likely to get into Oxford having CHOSEN a college or submitting an Open application?

(I know, this is probably completely a matter of opinion or that both are equal, but I just want to know what people think
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Neither is "better". I don't think there are any statistics that show that one method provides more success than the other. The whole interview process is more intricate than that

Basically if you really can't decide and would be happy anywhere, then by all means do an open application. If, however, there are particular colleges that (for whatever reason) you DON'T like, or if you have a certain preference for a particular college, then you should apply to a specific college :yep:
M00nlight
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
From what I've heard, if a particular college is oversubscribed, they will reallocate you to a less subscribed college so your chances should be the same regardless of whether you make an open application or choose a college.
nulli tertius
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There is really no reason now to make an open application.

Open applications were invented at a time when there was no pre-interview balancing of numbers and moreover the published information about college applications by subject produced wild swings in applicant numbers.You had a considerable advantage if you knew how to play the college choice game. Open applications were introduced to allow players with no skill at the game to opt out.

Those days have gone and you now have an equal chance of getting into Oxford somewhere whatever college you select.

Clearly you have a better chance of getting the facilities you want and avoiding things you particularly don't want if you choose a college that fits the bill.

Therefore there is no downside and only upside to choosing a college.

Open applications were a sticking plaster for a problem that has been cured by other means.
nexttime
  • Volunteer Team
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Altruism i.e. letting the people who really want to go to Worcester go to Worcester rather than depriving them for the hell of it.
shoshin
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nulli tertius)
Randomism ie. for people who have read The Dice Man and decided that 'patterns are prostitution to the patter of parents'.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Oxford
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Wed, 3 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Thu, 4 Jul '19
  • University of Oxford
    Fri, 20 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (293)
37.71%
No - but I will (55)
7.08%
No - I don't want to (56)
7.21%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (373)
48.01%

Watched Threads