Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Why do some people use a monitor for gaming instead of a TV?

I don't know whether I should get a monitor or TV, any suggestions as to why I should get one rather than the other?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Well is it PC or another console? Tbh, I'd use a decent but smallish TV screen for gaming if you've got the money but the average PC monitor is definitely better than a terrible TV screen...

ReputationRep:
    Many reasons to use a monitor over a TV.

1) Resolution. A TV will be running at 1080p or 4k. Monitors have more options, 1080p, 1440p, 4K, 3440 x 1440, 2560 x 1080 etc...

2) Input lag. A TV is slower to display things than a monitor. Input lag of 16ms is one full frame behind what actually happens. This is generally due to less signal processing.

3) Refresh rate. A gaming monitor can run at native 120 or 144Hz, whereas most TVs run at 60Hz (and an higher stated is achieved via interpolation). This allows you to run games at higher FPS without screen-tearing.

ReputationRep:
    An IPS panel would look much better than a normal TV in games. Also aslong as you get a fairly decent sized one you can get a dual hdmi output one and use it as a TV if you want to aswell.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blyts-_)
    Why do some people use a monitor for gaming instead of a TV?

I don't know whether I should get a monitor or TV, any suggestions as to why I should get one rather than the other?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Definitely get a monitor. I play on a monitor after switching from a HDTV. Makes quite the different in First Person Shooters ect where you need as little input lag as possible. Monitors have a quicker refresh rate than TV's

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hachik0)
    Definitely get a monitor. I play on a monitor after switching from a HDTV. Makes quite the different in First Person Shooters ect where you need as little input lag as possible. Monitors have a quicker refresh rate than TV's
    Thanks for the response How do I connect a PS3 to a monitor? Do they all have a HDMI input?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blyts-_)
    Thanks for the response How do I connect a PS3 to a monitor? Do they all have a HDMI input?
    Not all but most yeah. Mine has a DVI input only but it was easy to get a HDMI to DVI converter cable. You literally just plug it in, nothing complex.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.