Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    There is a debating competition at school and am looking for a controversial topic for my house to do a debate on.... It has to appeal to the sixth form (so nothing too boring) and I want at least one side to generate a lot of questions... .Another house is doing 'Was Hitler a great man' so I'm trying to think of an equally controversial topic... Any ideas?

ReputationRep:
    Is race really unimportant? (See DandD thread of the same name)

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=262736

Do Women Deserve To Be Raped?

ReputationRep:
    Is one sex superior to the other?

ReputationRep:
    Is one race superior to another?

Is the concept of human rights bunk?

ReputationRep:
    Black people are slaves and always will be
    Women should not be allowed to leave the house
    Nuclear power plants should be set up in the third world to power the first world
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    We had to do a similar debate in my college.

My group opted to debate on whether animal testing is justified (or morally wrong).

Given that the group I was, the chosen debate got pretty heated although most of us didn't feel even slightly passionate about the matter - if we had chosen anything slightly more controversial which we actually had an interest in, the debate would have become violent!

ReputationRep:
    Pepsi or Coke? :p:

How about colonialism, and whether it truly is to blame for the entirety of the third worlds problems or not? Ok that is obviously biased...let me re-word it...:p:

'Can colonialism be seen as the main factor in modern day third world strife?'

ReputationRep:
    The uni debating society did "this house believes political correctness has gone mad' last night, which was quite lively.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chrism)
    The uni debating society did "this house believes political correctness has gone mad' last night, which was quite lively.
    Was their any throwing of furniture? :p:

ReputationRep:
    The colonial one isnt a debate. If you said "Did the end of colonialism destroy any hope for Africa?"

ReputationRep:
    Abortion's always good for a giggle.

ReputationRep:
    How about...."The Ku Klux Klan - bunch of backward thinking racist rednecks or merely misunderstood"?

(Original post by Howard)
    How about...."The Ku Klux Klan - bunch of backward thinking racist rednecks or merely misunderstood"?
    The most controversial debate would be one that involves casting our nation as villainous.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    The most controversial debate would be one that involves casting our nation as villainous.
    You're american?!?! :eek3:

ReputationRep:
    Pizza or Chinese

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _jackofdiamonds)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=262736

Do Women Deserve To Be Raped?

Nice to see my work is appreciated...

ReputationRep:
    "THBT white people are superior to black people". Controversy 101.

Or "THBT the Final Solution was justified". You'd never get a proposition, but theoretically it still counts as a debate.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Agent Smith)
    "THBT white people are superior to black people". Controversy 101.

Or "THBT the Final Solution was justified". You'd never get a proposition, but theoretically it still counts as a debate.
    You may get a proposition. I'd be willing to propose, I'd take it as a challenge. Before anyone gets the wrong idea, that doesn't mean I agree with the motion, the holocaust was undeniably an evil act, just it would be interesting to try to defend something SO indefensible.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I know what you mean. I too relish such challenges. But there's a line beyond which I really would feel, well, just bad about doing so.

It's interesting to consider that with the Holocaust, people who secretly wish it had been completed make insane claims that it is a lie propagated to help propel Jews to global supremacy, but no-one has ever said the same thing about the Armenian genocide.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.