Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Postgraduate Study Loans! watch

• View Poll Results: Will postgraduate study loans help you if you want to get a Master's?
    Yes
    80.00%
    No
    20.00%

ReputationRep:
    Hey, guys! George Osbourne has announced Government postgraduate study loans of up to £10,000 for one year. That is for the tuition fee and the living costs! Do you think this will help you if you want to get a Master's degree?

The title was supposed to be: "Will a government postgraduate study loan help you if you want to get a Master's degree?"

ReputationRep:
    Well it depends on the situation a person is in. I don't want to fall into more debts as undergraduate loans will put me paying well over £30k. For people with a working class or lower middle class background I don't think this will be too beneficial. What would be more effective is if the government reduce the tuition fee for postgraduate study. Alternatively they should consider scholarships for those who earn a certain requirement in their degrees so the talented people are rewarded. For me, this will change nothing if I wish to get a masters degree.

ReputationRep:
    It will mean the difference between being able to do a degree or not for a lot of people, I think it's a good thing. By the time someone has completed undergraduate and are ready for postgrad, I think they can make an informed decision as to whether they want to add to their debt at this point.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Azurefeline)
    It will mean the difference between being able to do a degree or not for a lot of people, I think it's a good thing. By the time someone has completed undergraduate and are ready for postgrad, I think they can make an informed decision as to whether they want to add to their debt at this point.
    Fair point, I agree to some extent
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    It's added debt and I don't particularly want to get a Masters degree.

But, for those that would previously be unable to do a Masters, those people are now able to and that's good.

However, I did ask my course leader when we had a catch up today, whether it will devalue getting a masters now that more people will be able to access it.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.