why steamy fumes forms Watch

yuqiwang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
when we do experiments and learn AQA AS chemistry chapter 11 Halogens I am sure we are all told that when sodium halides react with conc sulfuric acid we see steamy fumes.Can you explain why the steamy fumes exist?As I know that it is impossible to see gas with our eyes so I think steamy fumes should be solid which formed coz those reactions are endothermic.What do you think is that right?
charco
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by yuqiwang)
when we do experiments and learn AQA AS chemistry chapter 11 Halogens I am sure we are all told that when sodium halides react with conc sulfuric acid we see steamy fumes.Can you explain why the steamy fumes exist?As I know that it is impossible to see gas with our eyes so I think steamy fumes should be solid which formed coz those reactions are endothermic.What do you think is that right?
The fumes are droplets of the hydrohalic acid solution caused by water that condense around the hydrogen halide molecules.

HX has a great affinity for water and literally drags the water vapour from the air into solution.
yuqiwang
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by charco)
The fumes are droplets of the hydrohalic acid solution caused by water that condense around the hydrogen halide molecules.

HX has a great affinity for water and literally drags the water vapour from the air into solution.
Thanks for that!So do you mean the steamy fumes are partially condense water and partially hydrophilic acid?As I have seen on the textbook just now,for NaBr,it is said 'this is a redox reaction,the reactions are exothermic and some of the bromine vaporises'
The temperature rises but why we still see steamy fumes?what i think is HBr/HI they are still gas like Br2
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cranfield University
    Cranfield Forensic MSc Programme Open Day Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • University of the Arts London
    Open day: MA Footwear and MA Fashion Artefact Postgraduate
    Thu, 25 Apr '19
  • Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (458)
38.01%
No - but I will (91)
7.55%
No - I don't want to (85)
7.05%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (571)
47.39%

Watched Threads