The Student Room Group

Manchester University interview for Mathematics (3 years) course.

Any suggestions on questions that will most likely to be asked by them?
Will they give you a maths question on the spot?
What to wear?
Hi! I had an interview in November and i now have an offer so I can help:smile:
Wear whatever you want. Some people turned up in suits some turned up in just jeans so it doesn't really matter as the process is pretty casual but I would wear something smart just incase. They do give you a maths question on the spot yes but don't panic. They asked me 2. One was on normal integration then he changed the question a bit so it was university level and I couldn't solve it but I talked about different ideas on how to and thats what they are looking for anyway. Just look over C1,C2, FP1 stuff a few days before just incase. They like to ask proofs! Other questions of mine included some stuff i mentioned on my personal statement so I would re-read to be familiar with what they could ask. They also asked what I wanted to gain from this degree, why this uni and which part of maths is ur fav, ie core, mechanics etc... That was pretty much it, they are really nice and friendly, you will get to talk to some lecturers and students before so don't worry about it and just be yourself. It only lasts 15 mins anyway:smile:
Good luck!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by dandroff
Any suggestions on questions that will most likely to be asked by them?
Will they give you a maths question on the spot?
What to wear?

Original post by monica555
Hi! I had an interview in November and i now have an offer so I can help:smile:
Wear whatever you want. Some people turned up in suits some turned up in just jeans so it doesn't really matter as the process is pretty casual but I would wear something smart just incase. They do give you a maths question on the spot yes but don't panic. They asked me 2. One was on normal integration then he changed the question a bit so it was university level and I couldn't solve it but I talked about different ideas on how to and thats what they are looking for anyway. Just look over C1,C2, FP1 stuff a few days before just incase. They like to ask proofs! Other questions of mine included some stuff i mentioned on my personal statement so I would re-read to be familiar with what they could ask. They also asked what I wanted to gain from this degree, why this uni and which part of maths is ur fav, ie core, mechanics etc... That was pretty much it, they are really nice and friendly, you will get to talk to some lecturers and students before so don't worry about it and just be yourself. It only lasts 15 mins anyway:smile:
Good luck!!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hello hope you have both been successful. I have got an interview for Manchester Uni in February and was wandering if you have any more advice you could offer please? What type of questions etc. Thanks.
Reply 3
Manchester now interviews for maths?
I did not know that ...
Original post by alexthomas
Hello hope you have both been successful. I have got an interview for Manchester Uni in February and was wandering if you have any more advice you could offer please? What type of questions etc. Thanks.

Hiya, I basically listed everything you pretty much need to know really. You will get given a maths question so read up on c1, c2 and fp1 but other than that they ask different questions to different people. Read up on your personal statement as well. I play the piano and mentioned similarities between music and maths in my ps so my interviewer brought it up. It was very casual for me. There were other interviews going on at the same time in the same room so it is noisy, not just a one on one in an office or anything like that. Be relaxed and good luck for your interview!
Original post by TeeEm
Manchester now interviews for maths?
I did not know that ...

Probably like physics giving offers to 90% of those interviewed.
Reply 6
Original post by TunaTunnel
Probably like physics giving offers to 90% of those interviewed.

I just did not know that ....
Reply 7
I just got one what if you havent done further maths will they still ask same question
Reply 8
I have an interview, but I am only doing maths, not futher mayths, will thsidisadavatage me in the questions/

welcoem anything people think
It's Manchester, not exactly Oxbridge. I doubt the questions will be too difficult.
Reply 10
Thanks thats reassuring
hey, i have my interview on wednesday and I also play piano, im expecting them to ask me about it but i dont really know what to say, what were a few links that you made please?

Quick Reply

Latest