Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi
    What do Warwick look for when selecting applicants for the MMath course? Are GCSEs of any significant importance?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I don't think its any different to the way they consider applicants for BSc Maths as they encourage you to apply MMath because its easier to tell your LEA now that you intend to do 4 years rather than later.

The last application cycle IIRC, if you had good enough AS grades, they made you the standard offer. I don't recall them saying that GCSE grades were significant.

ReputationRep:
    They should first ask if you will interrupt lectures to:
    - show that you can draw some continous functions in DEs... when not even asked (I think the lecturer said it was wrong anyway)
    - comment about the Fundamental Theroem of Arithmetic when we hadn't done it
    - receive a boo'ing from pretty much the whole of the lecture room... twice.

This will not make any sense unless you're a first year Maths student

ReputationRep:
    so so true tom lol, what an idiot (although not technically an idiot as he seems to be showing "superior inteligence" haha)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom0)
    so so true tom lol, what an idiot (although not technically an idiot as he seems to be showing "superior inteligence" haha)
    I was sat in the row behind him when he said that and when the whole room - or "the voice of the people" - prevented him getting another chocolate bar from the lecturer. I have not sat anywhere near him since, which is now a good idea as some people have started to throw paper balls at him whenever he speaks (whatever next?!).

ReputationRep:
    Which course and lecturer is this with?

ReputationRep:
    just out of interest, what happened in the lecture room???

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx007)
    Hi
    What do Warwick look for when selecting applicants for the MMath course? Are GCSEs of any significant importance?

Thanks
    If you do well in your AS' then they wont be too bothered about your GCSEs I think providing they are ok and you did well in maths. But the main thing they want to see in you is that you are interested in Mathematics and you show natural ability in the subject.

ReputationRep:
    To be honest, if you can meet one of the standard offers, you should be fine. They're generally cvonsidered to be pretty tough, and so outweigh whatever you did a couple of years ago.

Nice to hear that there are still annoying people who can't shut up in lectures It was "excuse-me-girl" in my year... Ooh, I'm getting a bit mad just thinking about it now!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rusty Nails)
    I was sat in the row behind him when he said that and when the whole room - or "the voice of the people" - prevented him getting another chocolate bar from the lecturer. I have not sat anywhere near him since, which is now a good idea as some people have started to throw paper balls at him whenever he speaks (whatever next?!).
    Yeah that guy is really incredible, now every time he talks everyone boo's him. "Superior intelligence", that was hilarious. There's also this one other guy who will laugh for EVERY single joke the lecturer says, he stinks and eats his buggers....Pretty scary. Anyway, moving on...Dave Wood and Samir Siksek are by far the funniest lecturers, pay attention to the way Siksek pronounces "Real numbers" hehe.

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone else see Mr Participation outside MS.02 the other day. Talk about keen. Some people don't think Siksek is very funny, I heard some people moaning about him the other day. I think he's funny and he's my tutor as well. Legend.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomX)
    They should first ask if you will interrupt lectures to:
    - show that you can draw some continous functions in DEs... when not even asked (I think the lecturer said it was wrong anyway)
    - comment about the Fundamental Theroem of Arithmetic when we hadn't done it
    - receive a boo'ing from pretty much the whole of the lecture room... twice.

This will not make any sense unless you're a first year Maths student

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Orientalist)
    Yeah that guy is really incredible, now every time he talks everyone boo's him. "Superior intelligence", that was hilarious. There's also this one other guy who will laugh for EVERY single joke the lecturer says, he stinks and eats his buggers....Pretty scary. Anyway, moving on...Dave Wood and Samir Siksek are by far the funniest lecturers, pay attention to the way Siksek pronounces "Real numbers" hehe.
    Dave and Samir = Class2

The best quote last year had to come from Samir. It's on the mathsoc website but I'll write it out anyway:

Samir: Do you want to know a secret about the exam?
    Everyone: Yes
    *Samir checks outside of the door of MS.02 to see if anyone is listening in. He closes the door again*
    Samir (whispering): The exam will have vectors and matrices on it.

Samir... What a guy. If you look on his Facebook group, you'll see a photo of what some guy wrote on one of the supervision area blackboards. I took that picture!

Incidentally, does anyone have Peter Walters as their Analysis teacher, in B3.02? If you do, then I'm one of the peert tutors. Say hi

ReputationRep:
    that guy obviously knows *something* about maths, but to be honest, he hasn't really said anything worth interrupting a lecture for

tom, i *think* he was referring to the function he mentioned in a previous lecture which is only defined for rational numbers, and therefore you can "draw it without taking the pen off" but according to the definition of continuous, it is technically not, i believe dave wood was being sarcastic when he said "there are gaps ". mentioning this twice is a little contrived if you ask me, so he's obviously read some maths, woo ****ing hoo, if you have questions that are not relevant, leave them til after the lecture son! (i believe his name is ben.. i have my sources.)

still - he doesn't ALWAYS talk **** - and i don't think throwing paper on someone is the way to resolve anything. (actually i heard today that he threw some paper at someone outside the lecture room whilst in heated argument!)

ReputationRep:
    Samir sounds like two people:
    - Doctor Nic from the Simpsons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDbHe...elated&search=
    - Manuel from Fawlty Towers http://youtube.com/watch?v=I_VYahjKldA (Samir says 'Okay?' sounds like Manuel saying 'Que?'

Maybe it's just me :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TomX)
    Samir sounds like two people:
    - Doctor Nic from the Simpsons http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDbHe...elated&search=
    - Manuel from Fawlty Towers http://youtube.com/watch?v=I_VYahjKldA (Samir says 'Okay?' sounds like Manuel saying 'Que?'

Maybe it's just me :P
    Two people have already independently told me he sounds like Dr Nic, so it's not just you. Also I love the way he says "diwide". Did anyone follow that thing where he asked us if the tests "shouldn't not be easier than . . . "??? (I got lost at that point!)

Re: Interrupting guy - do you think he is on TSR? :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, Samir does sound like Doctor Nick! I'm now expecting him to say "Hi, everybody!" at the start of each lecture! And I have heard from loads of people that Dave Wood looks like Jon Bon Jovi!

ReputationRep:
    Dave Woods is the best lecturer in my opinion. Then again I don't have Samir. What does he teach?

The guy that teaches analysis, Pollicot, is not very good. You should be happy if you did not participate in the lection where he dealt with sequences tending to infinity: infinity this, infinity that, infinity, infinity... analysis to me is the science of stating the obvious, haha

ReputationRep:
    Haha, I love this thread. Siksek and Wood are bloody legends!! Siksek teaches Vectors and Matrices btw.

PS Interrupting guy's name is Justin Lee Collins.

ReputationRep:
    well i know his name now, but i think he may get one or two interesting emails if i reveal it..

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 24, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.