Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

"My interest in Orthoptics grew as I realised I did not want to pursue a career in retail but in the hospital side of the industry"

Hey, just giving this thread a bump :bump: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help you get more responses. :yy:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here.

I don't think this sentence is very clear. You are making it sound as though orthoptics and retail are part of the same thing. 'The industry' doesn't refer to working life in general - it refers to one specific area, usually in the business world, which orthoptics isn't. Why not say, "I became interested in orthoptics when I realised I would prefer a healthcare career to my role in retail"? That sounds more natural - the risk with personal statements is that people often try to sound extra fancy instead of using their own natural style and voice. (Remember you should also say why you're attracted to working in a hospital, and why orthoptics specifically - after all, there are lots of hospital jobs!) I hope that helps.
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.