This discussion is closed.
Faland
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
B726 - Foreign Aid Bill 2014, TSR UKIP

Foreign Aid Act 2014

An Act to control and account for the spending of foreign aid.

BE IT ENACTED by The Queen's most Excellent Majesty, by and with the advice and consent of the Commons in this present Parliament assembled, in accordance with the provisions of the Parliament Acts 1911 and 1949, and by the authority of the same, as follows:-

Section 1 - The Foreign Aid Budget

(1) The foreign aid budget from the 1st January 2015 will be £7bn per annum.
(2) The foreign aid budget will not rise above this level for 5 years.
(i) This level may decrease with further legislation
(3) The foreign aid budget will be reviewed again at the end of those 5 years.

Section 2 - Accounting for Foreign Aid

(1) Foreign Aid allocated to and spent by foreign governments must be accounted for.
(2) The Department for International Development will be responsible for ensuring that foreign governments have used UK aid money for the purpose that it was intended.
(3) Countries that fail to account for how UK aid is spent shall not receive any further aid from the UK.
(4) Countries that are found to have used UK aid money for the purposes of corruption shall not receive any further aid from the UK.

Section 3 - Commencement and Short Title

(1) This Act my be cited as the Foreign Aid Act 2014.
(2) This Act shall come into force on the 1st January 2015
Saracen's Fez
  • Forum Helper
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(2) The foreign aid budget will not rise above this level for 5 years.
This isn't necessary bearing in mind any Parliament between now and then could repeal this bill.
Fernand126
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
This isn't necessary bearing in mind any Parliament between now and then could repeal this bill.
Wouldn't you rather have an established deadline to make sure it just isn't forgotten and to make sure everything is clear?
Saracen's Fez
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Fernand126)
Wouldn't you rather have an established deadline to make sure it just isn't forgotten and to make sure everything is clear?
If we're having a bill to define the foreign aid budget (which surely is a job for the actual Budget and not a random bill from a minor party) then successive governments (that care enough) can be expected to amend.

We do however have a perfectly good way for the Government to set the foreign aid budget already and there's no need to change this.
Fernand126
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
If we're having a bill to define the foreign aid budget (which surely is a job for the actual Budget and not a random bill from a minor party) then successive governments (that care enough) can be expected to amend.

We do however have a perfectly good way for the Government to set the foreign aid budget already and there's no need to change this.
I'm not promoting the bill, I'm promoting the idea of efficient writing of the bills. You're basing the removal of such in the blind faith that future governments will be efficient.

And, although I also question this bill, minor party? Statements like these are quite funny. Most people here have exclusive behaviors like these and 5 minutes later start crying about UKIP being elitist, racist and so on.
Saracen's Fez
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
And, although I also question this bill, minor party? Statements like these are quite funny. Most people here have exclusive behaviors like these and 5 minutes later start crying about UKIP being elitist, racist and so on.
Minor party in the MHoC = not government or opposition by my definition
Saracen's Fez
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm not promoting the bill, I'm promoting the idea of efficient writing of the bills. You're basing the removal of such in the blind faith that future governments will be efficient.
OK they may not be, but that doesn't mean we need to do their governing for them now just in case they aren't.
ukip72
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)

We would not agree with the government on what the foreign aid budget should be.

Do not refer to UKIP as a minor party. We have 7 MP's and the best voting turnout of any party.
Saracen's Fez
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ukip72)
We would not agree with the government on what the foreign aid budget should be.

Do not refer to UKIP as a minor party. We have 7 MP's and the best voting turnout of any party.
In which case vote nay to a Budget.

See my definition of minor party above.
username456717
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Minor party in the MHoC = not government or opposition by my definition
We are definitely not a minor party anymore.
Saracen's Fez
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by nebelbon)
We are definitely not a minor party anymore.
Well get yourselves into Government or Opposition next time around and shift the tag.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Well get yourselves into Government or Opposition next time around and shift the tag.
Your definition is wrong.
Saracen's Fez
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Your definition is wrong.
How would you define "minor party" then?
Fernand126
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
OK they may not be, but that doesn't mean we need to do their governing for them now just in case they aren't.
But we didn't say they'll be forced to change; we just said it'd be beneficial to discuss.

Also, I think this ends up as a matter of libertarianism or authoritarianism. Interfere with future decisions or not? It's of my personal opinion to say yes.
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
How would you define "minor party" then?
Voting records, number of active members and items posted to the house.

What has Labour submitted? That song bill and something else iirc.
ukip72
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
In which case vote nay to a Budget.

See my definition of minor party above.
So the Liberals who have 2 fewer MP's aren't a minor party then? Strange logic.
Saracen's Fez
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by ukip72)
So the Liberals who have 2 fewer MP's aren't a minor party then? Strange logic.
Were they not in Government (where as far as I'm concerned party lines start to blur and you kind of become one) they would be.
ukip72
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Were they not in Government (where as far as I'm concerned party lines start to blur and you kind of become one) they would be.
Makes no sense at all. UKIP are the bigger party. Fact.
Saracen's Fez
  • Forum Helper
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Voting records, number of active members and items posted to the house.

What has Labour submitted? That song bill and something else iirc.
Our voting record is perfectly alright thanks. :yy:

How many successful items have UKIP posted recently?
username456717
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by O133)
Our voting record is perfectly alright thanks. :yy:

How many successful items have UKIP posted recently?
Your bill was only successful because the 'left' have a majority.

Don't be so smug.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (26)
49.06%
No - but I will (1)
1.89%
No - I don't want to (1)
1.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (25)
47.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise