Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi Everyone,

A bit of background - My flat was broken into and my laptop stolen (along with a tablet and cash and a bluetooth mouse). I have been offered a payout but my problem is that to get a simlar spec laptop seems very hard, I know that when I bought my orignal laptop I got such an amazing offer and got about £500 off the RRP.

This is the spec I had (from my invoice in 2011):
    • 2nd generation Intel Core i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz (Quad core)
    • 15.6" HD WLED True-Life (1366x768) with 2.0 Mega Pixel Integrated Camera
    • Memory : 8192MB (2x4096) 1333MHz DDR3 Dual Channel RAM
    • Hard Drive : 750GB Serial ATA (7200RPM)
    • Optical Drive : 8x DVD+/-RW Optical Drive
    • Battery : Primary 9-cell 90W/HR LI-ION - I know this old tech now
    • Graphics : 1GB NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M Graphics card
    • Wireless : Europe Intel Centrino Wireless-N 1030 (1x2 b/g/n+ Bluetooth Combo Card)
    • Mobile Broadband : Internal Dell Wireless 5540 built-in 3G/HSDPA

The biggest problem is that it seems that not many laptops have mobile broadband built in. All I can find is laptops about £500 more than what was offered me, while I understand the insurance company aren't going to give the latest tech. But I believe that the processor should be equivilent and if I want/need built in mobile broadband I should be able to have in the replacement. To be honest i'm shocked that intel can sell i7 dual cores as it used to be any i7 was quad core.

Can anyone recommend me a laptop with similar spec? Also has anyone been through an insurance claim for high spec laptop (i'm not saying its the bee kness but i was very specific with the processor at the orignal purchase!)?

Why do you need integrated mobile broadband? You can just get a USB dongle for cheap.

Could you use a dongle or smartphone tethering instead? There aren't many laptops with mobile broadband, and if you insist on having this, it will narrow down your options hugely.
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.