Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Consider the iterated map xn+1=rxn(1-xn2).
    Show that for 0<r<3√3/2 if 0 ≤xn≤1 then 0≤xn+1≤1. Show that if
    r<1 then the only fixed point in (0,1) is zero, and that this is stable. When
    r>1 there is another fixed point in (0,1). Find the value of this fixed point
    (as a function of r). For which values of r is it stable, and for which values is it unstable? What would you expect to happen when r>2?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there from Warwick, my name is Jesse a handsome man, I'm sure you've seen me in your lectures , I'm stuck on the exact same question would you believe it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dilzo999)
    Hi there from Warwick, my name is Jesse a handsome man, I'm sure you've seen me in your lectures , I'm stuck on the exact same question would you believe it.
    Everyone that I've asked is stuck on it and I was hoping I would be that one person with the brilliant answer .. But nope. I hate this module so much :-(

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ellemay96)
    Show that for 0<r<3√3/2 if 0 ≤xn≤1 then 0≤xn+1≤1. Show that if
    r<1 then the only fixed point in (0,1) is zero, and that this is stable. When
    r>1 there is another fixed point in (0,1). Find the value of this fixed point
    (as a function of r). For which values of r is it stable, and for which values is it unstable? What would you expect to happen when r>2?
    I have not done difference equations since I was at university and sometimes the vocabulary is different, but my suggestion is

in a difference equation you can find limits, say L, by setting un = un+1 =L

say here

L=rL(1-L2)

either L = 0

or 1=r(1-L2)
    L=+/- ROOT(1 - 1/r)

but if r is between 0 and 1 there will be no more solutions except L =0

etc

(PS: I stand corrected if I am suggesting non sensible things)
    • Study Helper

Study Helper
    (Original post by ellemay96)
    Show that for 0<r<3√3/2 if 0 ≤xn≤1 then 0≤xn+1≤1.
    For the first part, for r in the range specified, in order for x_{n+1} to be in [0,1], what is the restriction on the value of x_n(1-x_n^2), i.e. what must it's range be restricted to?

Now show that  x_n\in[0,1] implies x_n(1-x_n^2) lies in that range, and hence x_{n+1}\in[0,1]

ReputationRep:
    stability implies that \left | f ' (x_{0}) \right |&lt;1

(UNstability implies that \left | f ' (x_{0}) \right |&gt;1) for fixed point x_{0}

here, stability condition gives: \left | r(1-3x^{2}) \right |&lt;1

if r&lt;1 then x MUST =0 for stability to hold (since we KNOW r is +ve and then we have: .  r \left | (1-3x^{2}) \right |&lt;1 , which must mean that x=0)

if you solve the equation: x=rx(1-x^{2}) you get the fixed points - one of which is zero, the other is the +ve root TeeEm has mentioned, (both in the range we wish) of x in terms of r.

The +ve root value of x (fixed point) you have found as a function of r goes into the:

1). stability equation (simplifies (verify this) to: \left |3-2r \right | &lt;1 =&gt; 1&lt;r&lt;2 (3root(3)/2 approx = 2.6)

2). UNstability equation (simplifies (verify this) to: \left |3-2r \right | &gt;1 =&gt; r&gt;2 OR r&lt;1 for THIS point. We reject the latter value, as anything

satisfying it gives us, if we substitute back into x=sqrt(1-1/r).., a complex number.

I will admit, it`s a while since i have done this, and the last question kind of confuses me - it`s apparently leading to chaotic iterations! (although i would have said i expect it to diverge to infinity)

This plot is just 30 iterations for r=3
    Attached Images

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: December 5, 2014
Poll
Are you going to a festival?
Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.