Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

How are virgins perceived by the youth, teenagers and adult students watch

Hi all

I use to work in a bank and a couple of days later a colleague asked me am I a Virgin because I had an extremely poor self image.

Now someone overheard this conversation and joined in to which they responded "It doesn't even look like he's kissed a girl". Another person joined and said "You are". Now a couple of days later some other colleagues then brought up the conversation about virginity implying I'm a virgin.

I'm a little bit self conscious about this and want to know how does society interpret whether you're still a virgin?

Is it laughed at? Why is it a topic of interest? Is it something to be ashamed and embarrassed about?

ReputationRep:
    Not at all! You should probably just embrace it and be proud of it. Even if it's something you're not proud of, you'll find there's a certain type of person who will go out of their way to take it if you tell them about your virginity!

If you're skeptical that virgins can be considered "cool", check out Swoozie on Youtube <3

I never thought society would reach this low. I have much more respect for someone who is a virgin than for someone who isn't (exceptions with marriage of course). There is absolutely nothing wrong with this. It's quite a sad world when we have people asking if it's alright being a virgin or not. Well done OP for having the control and respect for your body, rather than sleeping around with randoms. Keep it up :yy:
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    Couldn't care. Friend of mine didn't break his duck til he was 21. Yeah we had a laugh about it with himwhen he told us but not at him, that's just childish.

ReputationRep:
    They were being a bit rude but are you a virgin?

ReputationRep:
    I think people need to stop making a big deal out of everyone else's sex lives. Some people have sex, some people don't. As long as everything's consensual and you're not hurting anyone with whatever you are (or aren't) doing then what's the problem? Why do other people need to make it their business?

ReputationRep:
    "Being a virgin in this day and age is something to be proud of, you’re like a unicorn!"

ReputationRep:
    That is pretty horrible behaviour on behalf of your colleagues. Speak to your boss about it if they keep bothering you.

I'm a pretty outgoing social homosexual guy (19) and I've had my fair share of sleeping with women. I have multiple friends who are virgins (less guys than girls though). I'm even kinda dating a virgin right now. So here's my honest opinion:

Being a virgin doesn't make you a loser. It's perfectly fine and, although I'm glad I have my experiences, I would cut out a lot of them (cos they weren't all good) for the sake of a one or two more intimate sexual partners. I believe though that it is better to not be a virgin when you're past the age of 19/20 as the experience helps to develop you as a person and redirect your sexual tastes. Personally, I prefer dating a non-virgin because a girl who has had past experience tends to know what not to do, which is better than them knowing exactly what to do. Unfortunately it means I can be a bit put off girls who have no experience (this is from past experience of girls with no experience) and the girl I'm currently dating I'm very much on the fence about.

Also don't put emphasis on virginity being associated with looks. It's a much looser connection than people think. I know guys with much less than average looks who are fairly experienced and guys who are really good looking who have never entered that realm. I'm sure most people will dispute that but ya gonna have to trust me (anecdotal evidence, eh?)

If it's okay to ask, are you a virgin?

(Original post by pzoDe)
    That is pretty horrible behaviour on behalf of your colleagues. Speak to your boss about it if they keep bothering you.

I'm a pretty outgoing social homosexual guy (19) and I've had my fair share of sleeping with women. I have multiple friends who are virgins (less guys than girls though). I'm even kinda dating a virgin right now. So here's my honest opinion:

Being a virgin doesn't make you a loser. It's perfectly fine and, although I'm glad I have my experiences, I would cut out a lot of them (cos they weren't all good) for the sake of a one or two more intimate sexual partners. I believe though that it is better to not be a virgin when you're past the age of 19/20 as the experience helps to develop you as a person and redirect your sexual tastes. Personally, I prefer dating a non-virgin because a girl who has had past experience tends to know what not to do, which is better than them knowing exactly what to do. Unfortunately it means I can be a bit put off girls who have no experience (this is from past experience of girls with no experience) and the girl I'm currently dating I'm very much on the fence about.

Also don't put emphasis on virginity being associated with looks. It's a much looser connection than people think. I know guys with much less than average looks who are fairly experienced and guys who are really good looking who have never entered that realm. I'm sure most people will dispute that but ya gonna have to trust me (anecdotal evidence, eh?)

If it's okay to ask, are you a virgin?
    Thanks for the response

Not anymore no

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2014
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.