Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been invited to an interview for the extended Social Sciences Degree at Leeds. What should i expect?

Im a nearly 50 yo man with no fe/he although i am doing maths and english gcse but i have worked all of my adult life.

Thanks in advance

andy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by andyfromotley)
    I have been invited to an interview for the extended Social Sciences Degree at Leeds. What should i expect?

Im a nearly 50 yo man with no fe/he although i am doing maths and english gcse but i have worked all of my adult life.

Thanks in advance

andy
    I did an interview for Law five years ago - although it was by telephone - and I'm sure the experience differs from institution to institution so this this is merely my experience. It was very relaxed and informal. Like you I was 50 at the time. I had no A levels or evidence of recent study although I had a constant adult work record.

The interview focused on two main areas - would I be academically capable of meeting the challenges of the course? Can I demonstrate commitment/stickability to 3 years of academic study?

In terms of potential academic ability I pointed to various courses which I had completed throughout my working life and numerous challenges presented and overcome in that professional environment. Commitment was again demonstrated through my work record. Since subsequently getting to know the admissions tutor who interviewed me I've learnt that her biggest concern with mature, mature students is to determine that they have a real commitment to the academic study of their chosen subject. Many she has come across have maybe had the old mid-life crisis, been made redundant or unemployed, split up from the wife or partner, and decided that going to university seems like a fairly good option rather than sitting around the house. So when she interviewed me she drilled down (in a very subtle and respectful way) into my personal life and motivations for studying law. She wanted to make sure this wasn't just the latest notion I'd had and that after 6 months when the reality of study hit me I'd drop out.

One other area questioned was how I would cope and adapt to working with 18 and 19 year olds. Easy to answer if you've worked with young people in various jobs throughout your life.

Overall it felt more like a chat and a discussion than a formal interview. As I say, that was my experience - others may differ.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.