Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Thread Starter

    I'm very fearful that i may not be eligible for student finance for one questionable and confusing reason. If anyone can help me, i'd greatly appreciate it!

    Okay so, i live in an British overseas territory in the Caribbean. I've applied for my British passport and got it this year. I thought that would put me in the clear for student fees and finance. However, as stated in the "Do i qualify for student finance?" section on this website it says:

    To apply, you must:

    • be a UK national or have settled status (that is, no restrictions on how long you can stay in the UK);
    • normally live in England; and
    • have been living in the UK for at least three years before the first day of your course.

    The red section has me confused. I haven't been to the UK before, so clearly I haven't lived there for 3 years, however, i have lived in my country for 3. Am i still eligible as a UK student? Or do i need to try and apply as an EU student?

    Plenty thanks for any response!
    • Official TSR Representative

    Official TSR Representative
    Hi There,

    Sorry you're not entitled to funding.

    You need to be living in the UK for 3 years before the start of your course in order to be eligible for funding.

Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.