Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Just now two police officers exchanged a look after looking at me and chuckled. I feel like other men don't take me seriously or give me enough respect. I don't know what it is.

Some people may call me beta because I'm a good person but that's not really a criticism that I can work with nor one that I should apologise for.

I'm actually quite warm and jovial and some would even describe me as outgoing.

So why is it that men specifically (straight/lad types) dismiss me entirely?

Is it the way I dress?

This morning I stepped out of my house in a pair of slim-fit khaki jeans (rolled them up past my ankles) and I paired them with my brown leather boots. I'm wearing a jumper that's got orange and the same green of the jeans it and a massive black scarf all under my navy coat. I look trendy. I'm not dressed terribly at all.

ReputationRep:
    Honestly you'll live a much happier life if you learn to ignore/dismiss other people's perception about you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R Dragon)
    Honestly you'll live a much happier life if you learn to ignore/dismiss other people's perception about you

I have to agree here.

Don't look into what other people think of you. As long as you're happy in yourself, then what does it matter what anyone else thinks?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by R Dragon)

Believe me I try. But I'm very perceptive of people's eyes I can't help it. I even know when someone is looking at me when I've got my back turned to them. I feel the eyes on me. Most of the time I lap the attention up and I let it wash over me but some days it be a little disheartening. Like what is their problem?

Two 15 year old school girls tried to eye me up and down a week ago when I walked past them at their bus stop. I had to ask them if they wanted a picture before they looked away. It feels like I'm being judged and it's not nice. But at the same time I love to have fun with what I'm wearing and so this gives me attention

ReputationRep:
    Respect isn't given, it's earned.

Worrying about people you don't know is pointless.

Although, must admit, if I saw someone dressed like that I'd think "hipster pillock", but then think no more of it.

ReputationRep:
    That's not trendy you dress awful. And yes people imagine your personality based on how you are dressed that's just how human brain works. It could also be your hair.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mauryan)
    That's not trendy you dress awful. And yes people imagine your personality based on how you are dressed that's just how human brain works. It could also be your hair.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I look awesome. I would post a snap of my outfit if I was at home.

My hair is extremely curly but in a styled and perfect way.

Why are you jelly?
    (Original post by Drewski)
    Respect isn't given, it's earned.

Worrying about people you don't know is pointless.

Although, must admit, if I saw someone dressed like that I'd think "hipster pillock", but then think no more of it.

I guess you're right but it keeps happening and with each time I notice it my confidence takes yet another hit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cormac Easton)
    This morning I stepped out of my house in a pair of slim-fit khaki jeans (rolled them up past my ankles) and I paired them with my brown leather boots. I'm wearing a jumper that's got orange and the same green of the jeans it and a massive black scarf all under my navy coat. I look trendy. I'm not dressed terribly at all.

I'd say it's because of the way you dress.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BWV1007)
    I'd say it's because of the way you dress.

So you think they're jealous?

ReputationRep:
    Just now two police officers exchanged a look after looking at me and chuckled. I feel like other men don't take me seriously or give me enough respect. I don't know what it is.

Some people may call me beta because I'm a good person but that's not really a criticism that I can work with nor one that I should apologise for.

I'm actually quite warm and jovial and some would even describe me as outgoing.

So why is it that men specifically (straight/lad types) dismiss me entirely?

Is it the way I dress?

Start lifting
    Acquire aesthetics
    ??????????
    Profit.

ReputationRep:
    Wear a burqa

ReputationRep:
    TIL people IRL use the terms alpha-beta without irony?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tbx)
    Start lifting
    Acquire aesthetics
    ??????????
    Profit.
    This is beta advice brah, do you even knit?

ReputationRep:

This morning I stepped out of my house in a pair of slim-fit khaki jeans (rolled them up past my ankles) [/B]and I paired them with my brown leather boots. I'm wearing a jumper that's got orange and the same green of the jeans it and a massive black scarf all under my navy coat. I look trendy. I'm not dressed terribly at all.
    don't do that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tbx)
    Start lifting
    Acquire aesthetics
    ??????????
    Profit.

Honestly this seems like what I will have to do. So I can start **** up if people give me the wrong look and be able to back up my words if things get physical.

But I look good and I'm extremely attractive already. The aesthetics are there bro.

(Original post by localfox1000)
    don't do that.
    Why they look banging. Just roll your current jeans/trousers and they'll look infinitely more trendy.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    It sounds like step one is to not care whether others respect you or not. Men who are respected by other men tend to say and do what's on their mind regardless of whether other people think it's smirk-worthy. Be who you are, say what you think and make no apologies for it - that force of character and comfort in yourself is what other people tend to respect.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Balloon Baboon)
    I have to agree here.

Don't look into what other people think of you. As long as you're happy in yourself, then what does it matter what anyone else thinks?
    Haha yeah,

I should really practice what I preach... I didn't go to my lectures yesterday because I had this massive zit omg ;_;

ReputationRep:
    Just be confident, if you're impressed with yourself then no one else matters.

ReputationRep:
    I don't understand, you dress like a hipster like the rest of society, so you should fit right in

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.