Turn on thread page Beta

Abhor my course. Can't find a way out of this mess. watch

ReputationRep:
    I'm a full-time first-year student pursuing a bachelor's degree at a London university.

Now I've come to realize that I absolutely hate the course I'm studying and have no interest in it at all; this degree will also not allow me to embark on any careers I'd like.

I considered dropping out and starting in February 2015 at Open University as a 'full-time' student (i.e., studying for 120 credits per year) while working part-time, but this is not an option because Student Finance England said they can't offer me a loan for Open University next year as I've already secure one for my current university. (They said if I started a new full-time course, this would be possible, but in the case of OU this is not, as Student Finance categorize all OU degrees as part-time.)

I've also sent e-mails to random admission tutors from various universities but the general consensus is that I am unable to transfer at this point in the academic year.

Also, I've already taken a gap year after graduating from high school, and to start university again in 2015 won't be possible. My parents will not support me in this and neither do I have the stamina to start all over again. I must continue some form of education now.

What would be my options?

P.S.: I'd like to pursue a bachelor's degree in physics or natural sciences, and am very keen on exploring other forms of alternative education too (e.g., distance, work-based).

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't recommend a job if you're going to be studying 120 credits. I'm taking 120 credits at the moment and there's no way I would have time even for a part-time job. This applies especially if your credits are at level 2 or above - as another TSR user put it, at anything above Level 1, "you either learn fast or fail".

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, but I won't be able to start at Open University anyway...
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by qsaodnan)
    I considered dropping out and starting in February 2015 at Open University as a 'full-time' student (i.e., studying for 120 credits per year) while working part-time, but this is not an option because Student Finance England said they can't offer me a loan for Open University next year as I've already secure one for my current university. (They said if I started a new full-time course, this would be possible, but in the case of OU this is not, as Student Finance categorize all OU degrees as part-time.)
    How long have you been at university and what loan do you mean? You can't get a maintenance loan if you're an OU student but you can get a tuition fee loan. If you are still in your first year of university then you definitely can get a full tuition fee loan to cover an OU degree because everyone is entitled to an extra 'gift' year of funding in case you drop out and re-apply, or if you need to re-sit a year. If you finish out the year at your current university, it should be possible to transfer your uni credits to the OU (assuming you want to study the same or a similar subject), this means you wouldn't have to start from the beginning.

If you don't want to study at the OU, there is no reason why you can't re-apply to other universities. You might have to start from year 1 if you can't transfer into the second year but that is belter than not studying at all. If you want to work whilst you study, have you considered Birkbeck, University of London? They offer both part-time and full-time courses but all of their lectures and classes are in the evening which means you are free to work in the day.

ReputationRep:
    I have started university almost 3 months ago. This is my first time in higher education. This is my first loan from Student Finance, and for the first term which will end in one week it amounts to 2600 GBP roughly.

I called Student Finance and explained that I wish to drop out of the London university I'm now attending and start university in February 2015 at OU. They said that I cannot get any tuition fee loan from them because I've got an approved loan for full-time education, and OU is considered part-time education. I would allegedly be able to secure a tuition fee loan from Student Finance starting in autumn 2015. Does this make sense? Were they just lying to me? Should I ask to speak again with someone from Student Finance?

My parents won't support me to start university again and to be honest I'm fed up with this thing and can't go through the motions of applying and starting again. To be honest I'm fed up with university overall.

ReputationRep:
    Aside from the course a moment, how are things socially? Do you live in Halls? If socially things are going South as well I understand your frustrations.

One thing you have not mentioned is the idea of changing course within the uni. It is early days and they might let you. But be sure you know the course you want to transfer to is one you like. And if there's January exams and they expect you to have 'caught up' with Autumn modules you may be in for some hard work over Christmas! But then remember 40% + and you're through in first year generally.

I personally think dropping out and the OU etc will end up being a mess.

So which University is this?
    It might be difficult, but you might be able to convince your current University to change you to a different course but probably within the same department. This is technically possible because some first year courses overlap and share Units. My University allowed this to happen in special circumstances (but were very lenient), perhaps you can manage to convince yours.

It might not be ideal, but it's just an idea.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by qsaodnan)
    I have started university almost 3 months ago. This is my first time in higher education. This is my first loan from Student Finance, and for the first term which will end in one week it amounts to 2600 GBP roughly.

I called Student Finance and explained that I wish to drop out of the London university I'm now attending and start university in February 2015 at OU. They said that I cannot get any tuition fee loan from them because I've got an approved loan for full-time education, and OU is considered part-time education. I would allegedly be able to secure a tuition fee loan from Student Finance starting in autumn 2015. Does this make sense? Were they just lying to me? Should I ask to speak again with someone from Student Finance?

My parents won't support me to start university again and to be honest I'm fed up with this thing and can't go through the motions of applying and starting again. To be honest I'm fed up with university overall.
    Well either you misunderstood them or they misunderstood your question because you definitely still would get a full tuition loan. You would obviously have to withdraw from your current university before you could apply for and receive another loan. Most OU courses start in October next year so it wouldn't matter if SFE did made you wait until then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Wimbs)
    Aside from the course a moment, how are things socially? Do you live in Halls? If socially things are going South as well I understand your frustrations.

One thing you have not mentioned is the idea of changing course within the uni. It is early days and they might let you.
    I find that most of my peers are a bunch of morons. The ones on my course anyway. Very arrogant and intellectually mediocre. Yes, I'm staying in university accommodation, but my flatmates are party animals while I'm more introverted. I don't have any friends here in London, sadly.

I've already e-mailed a couple of admission tutors from different departments who offers courses in what I'm interested at the university I'm now studying at, but they said I cannot transfer at this point.

(Original post by coffeecakey)
    So which University is this?
    It might be difficult, but you might be able to convince your current University to change you to a different course but probably within the same department.
    It's in central London and it's not Imperial. :P

I asked if it's possible to transfer onto another course within the same department and they said they don't allow this, despite the fact that indeed most of the courses I've taken in the first term overlap with the ones from the course I asked them to transfer to.

(Original post by Snufkin)
    Well either you misunderstood them or they misunderstood your question because you definitely still would get a full tuition loan. You would obviously have to withdraw from your current university before you could apply for and receive another loan. Most OU courses start in October next year so it wouldn't matter if SFE did made you wait until then.
    They clearly said that Student Finance won't give me a loan if I start at OU in February 2015. I'll call them again tomorrow and explain again. The OU course I'm interested in (Natural Sciences), also starts in February 2015 (http://www.open.ac.uk/courses/qualifications/q64).

ReputationRep:
    I'm in pretty much the same position - going into my uni tomorrow to sign the paperwork to drop out and then am going to start an Open Uni course in Feb doing 120 credits a year. I've spoken to Student Finance England and an Open Uni advisor and they both said it was possible to get a loan. Perhaps give them another call, don't give up if that's what you want to do!

University open days

• University of East Anglia
    All Departments Open 13:00-17:00. Find out more about our diverse range of subject areas and career progression in the Arts & Humanities, Social Sciences, Medicine & Health Sciences, and the Sciences. Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Aston University
    Postgraduate Open Day Postgraduate
    Wed, 30 Jan '19
  • Solent University
    Careers in maritime Undergraduate
    Sat, 2 Feb '19
Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.