Torn between FAM and straight Management at Nottingham Watch

DRBennett
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
Hello people, I'm currently making the decision between whether to apply for Finance, Accounting and Management or just straight Management at the University of Nottingham. Has anyone made, or in the process of making, the same decision? If so what is swaying you? All responses are much appreciated.

-Dan
Dingbat1234
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
It depends on what you fancy.

Having graduated from Nottingham doing Fam, I can tell you get a real mixture of modules ranging from numbers based to theory based modules.

Looking at the management based modules you focus more on the theory side of business such as different management techniques, hr management. All a lot less numbers focused which didn't suit me as much

With Fam you get much more of a variety getting a real insight into all three areas. To me Fam is the best choice where you actually learn the most
makrxx
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Dingbat1234)
It depends on what you fancy.

Having graduated from Nottingham doing Fam, I can tell you get a real mixture of modules ranging from numbers based to theory based modules.

Looking at the management based modules you focus more on the theory side of business such as different management techniques, hr management. All a lot less numbers focused which didn't suit me as much

With Fam you get much more of a variety getting a real insight into all three areas. To me Fam is the best choice where you actually learn the most
How is the intensity of workload for FAM, is it easy to do well etc?
Tomatochuckers
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by DRBennett)
Hello people, I'm currently making the decision between whether to apply for Finance, Accounting and Management or just straight Management at the University of Nottingham. Has anyone made, or in the process of making, the same decision? If so what is swaying you? All responses are much appreciated.

-Dan
I have a strong feeling that you can switch from FAM to Management at the beginning of the first year and also at the end (not sure if it's the case the other way round). Best bet would be to ping an email across to the admissions tutors over at the Business School and find out.

From my experience:

BSc Management is much more flexible with regards to what modules you can take. You have more optional choices. You can tailor it to become more or less of what you want. Overall though, I'd say it's less mathsy and less financ-ey than FAM. Overall it gives you a good overall understanding of business as a whole. You learn about topics randing from economics to organisational behaviour to HR management to operations to advertising/marketing to accounting to business technology to entrepreneurship (you get the gist).

BSc FAM has less room for flexibility and more cut and dry. I feel the main components of the degree are: finance, accounting, management, economics and statistics/maths.
I'd say FAM is for those who want a more technical grounding and is particularly suited for financial services jobs (investment banking, sales, trading, research, investment management, private banking, insurance) and accounting. BSc Management has good career choices as well and would suit you particularly if you wanted to work for start-ups, and non-finance corporates. All the jobs listed above though are accessible to students from both degrees.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Nottingham
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 28 Jun '19
    Sat, 29 Jun '19
    Fri, 13 Sep '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (412)
37.83%
No - but I will (83)
7.62%
No - I don't want to (75)
6.89%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (519)
47.66%

Watched Threads