Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

In GCSE, I got 1 A* and 5 A's 6 B's and 2 C's. I got 3 A's in sciences, A* in Maths and a B in English.

I am currently in Year 12 and studying Chemistry, Maths, Bio, Psychology and Citizenship and I am worrying that I won't be able to get into Med school as people I know got better GCSE's than me and I'm even more worried that they may look at my GCSE results when I apply and make a judgement on that if I should get a place or not.

I want to go to a good university such as Manchester, Cambridge etc. however I just read up on their applicants history and most say they have 9 A* or 11 A's which got me worried that I may not get into Medicine.

If there are any University students studying Medicine can you give me some advice?

Different schools assess students and select using different criteria i.e. some will give UKCAT/GCSEs/A2 predictions/experience more or less weight. Narrow down the one's you have a good chance at, select the course curriculum you'd prefer and then choose schools to apply to.

Any school which awards you a primary medical qualification is a good university.

Most successful applicants will have great GCSE's but some medical schools don't weigh GCSE's too much...

Stop looking at applicants profiles and look at the unis website instead.
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    Just look up the selection processes, a good few don't look at GCSEs past the minimum. I applied two years ago to Glasgow, Imperial and Barts, receiving interviews at all so use those as a start.
What's the best type of cheese?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.