Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    In GCSE, I got 1 A* and 5 A's 6 B's and 2 C's. I got 3 A's in sciences, A* in Maths and a B in English.

I am currently in Year 12 and studying Chemistry, Maths, Bio, Psychology and Citizenship and I am worrying that I won't be able to get into Med school as people I know got better GCSE's than me and I'm even more worried that they may look at my GCSE results when I apply and make a judgement on that if I should get a place or not.

I want to go to a good university such as Manchester, Cambridge etc. however I just read up on their applicants history and most say they have 9 A* or 11 A's which got me worried that I may not get into Medicine.

If there are any University students studying Medicine can you give me some advice?

ReputationRep:
    Different schools assess students and select using different criteria i.e. some will give UKCAT/GCSEs/A2 predictions/experience more or less weight. Narrow down the one's you have a good chance at, select the course curriculum you'd prefer and then choose schools to apply to.

Any school which awards you a primary medical qualification is a good university.

ReputationRep:
    Most successful applicants will have great GCSE's but some medical schools don't weigh GCSE's too much...

Stop looking at applicants profiles and look at the unis website instead.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Just look up the selection processes, a good few don't look at GCSEs past the minimum. I applied two years ago to Glasgow, Imperial and Barts, receiving interviews at all so use those as a start.

Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.