Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

My sister is getting married next week. I have exams this January. I am really trying hard to concentrate on my studies but it is not working. Whenever I sit down to study someone is busy talking out loud ( my family has this annoying habit of talking too loud as if the listener cannot hear what they are saying). I tried to close the door and put on headphones but someone or the other keeps banging my door and ask me to give things they had left in my room.

What should I do to neglect the noise they are producing?!

Concentrate on what happens should you fail.

That should work better than any noise cancelling headphones.

There are many ways in which you can overcome this issue:

- as previously the gentleman mentioned, you can try to wear noise cancelling earphones given that you actually listen to some appropriate music. Popular choices could include studying music, i personally enjoy Electric counterpoint -reich, musishi OST and 3 hours studying music.... You could search up relaxing or studying music

-you can go out to the library if you dont like sitting at home and being constantly distracted. I hate noise, and cannot concentrate without silence, so i like just chilling in the library sometimes.

-if all else fails, explain to you family that you have exams coming, and if they are caring, they might understand and shut up for once if they realised how important these exams are for you.

-there's loads more that you can do, but this is all I can think of at the moment. Hope it helped 👍

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you struggle to concentrate at home, as thephlox suggested, you can try your local library and work there. Also try maybe studying in another room if yours is in almost constant use, i.e. the kitchen when it's not in use and just quietly study there. There's always the option of study groups, and studying at friends/other family members house.

Hope that helped!
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 6, 2014
What's the best type of cheese?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.