Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting a depression diagnosis with the NHS watch

Hey guys,

I've been putting up with undiagnosed depression for a good 8 years or so now and I feel that it's about time that I actually went to a GP and got a proper diagnosis for it.

It's pretty much continuous however it does vary in severity, from fully blown wanting to kill myself to just feeling completely sapped of energy and miserable (how it currently is).

It's been seriously effecting me at uni this semester (other issues in my life have compounded to make it worse) and my attendance and motivation have been devestated because of it.

Most importantly I want to get a diagnosis incase I need to apply for an extension for coursework (otherwise I'd be ok with keeping it hidden as I really don't like people knowing about it as I hate it when people worry about me).

How long would it take to get a formal diagnosis?

ReputationRep:
    Your GP will be able to diagnose you there and then. They will ask you about your symptoms, probably ask you to fill out a piece of paper detailing how you feel in the past few weeks. Usually something like this http://www.nhs.uk/Tools/Documents/De...assessment.htm.

Your doctor will then discuss treatment options with you, which might involve medication and referral to counselling or mental health services.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I went to my doctor for the second time about depression, the first appointment was talking about symptoms and then he gave me a booklet on depression and one on stress and told me to go back and see him in around 2 weeks. This is known as watchful waiting to see if it was only temporary etc. He hasnt told me specifically I have been diagnosed with depression but I assume he will note down on my record that I have it or the symptoms whatever. We discussed I dont want medication, my choice and he gave me a booklet with a self referral form for a place in my local area for talking therapies, cbt, counselling etc which I said I will contact. They send letters to your gp describing whats going on etc so I assume I have been diagnosed with depression. Yes?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trifleontoast)
    Yesterday I went to my doctor for the second time about depression, the first appointment was talking about symptoms and then he gave me a booklet on depression and one on stress and told me to go back and see him in around 2 weeks. This is known as watchful waiting to see if it was only temporary etc. He hasnt told me specifically I have been diagnosed with depression but I assume he will note down on my record that I have it or the symptoms whatever. We discussed I dont want medication, my choice and he gave me a booklet with a self referral form for a place in my local area for talking therapies, cbt, counselling etc which I said I will contact. They send letters to your gp describing whats going on etc so I assume I have been diagnosed with depression. Yes?
    For all intents and purposes yes. They don't often seem to state it, but it will be on your medical record that you have seen them and sought treatment for depression

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 4, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.