Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    i really need to rant, guys.

i have WAY TOO MUCH WORK. for music, i have ongoing composition, 'listening diary', and anthology listening and note taking, as well as some bach chorales to analyse and a giant schumann presentation to do next week.

for history, i have loads of notes to do and a test on everything we've done so far on friday. i also have an essay on millicent fawcett. i have some background reading for every module teacher.

for english, i have a transcript comparison essay, and to read wuthering heights by next week.

for french, OH MY GOD. i have an essay about the decline of the family, aural questions to write, and a massive translation homework.

i have a wedding im singing at next week with six songs to get perfect, i also have to know exactly what im doing with dixit dominus by next monday..

i really need more time errrrrgh. i feel so stressed all the time now

help xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Amazingly, you have nearly the same GCSE grades as me; expect yours are a touch better.

Yeah, the workload sucks. Welcome to yr12 i guess.

Im afraid if you do 4 arts subjects you have do a LOT of work, I really feel for you. I can only say hope you get through it and they dont carry on enforcing death by homework.

Bring on half term!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nymphonia)
    i really need to rant, guys.

i have WAY TOO MUCH WORK. for music, i have ongoing composition, 'listening diary', and anthology listening and note taking, as well as some bach chorales to analyse and a giant schumann presentation to do next week.

for history, i have loads of notes to do and a test on everything we've done so far on friday. i also have an essay on millicent fawcett. i have some background reading for every module teacher.

for english, i have a transcript comparison essay, and to read wuthering heights by next week.

for french, OH MY GOD. i have an essay about the decline of the family, aural questions to write, and a massive translation homework.

i have a wedding im singing at next week with six songs to get perfect, i also have to know exactly what im doing with dixit dominus by next monday..

i really need more time errrrrgh. i feel so stressed all the time now

help xxxx
    :hugs: I know how you feel. Maybe I suck at time management or something but I seem to have so little time for so much work. If I am allowed to rant too....

For Biology I also have a test on everything we've done tomorrow, but my teachers are SO crap that it's really stressing me out. It's not just that they are incapable of the skill 'explaining' - there are gaping holes in what they teach us. They go through each topic lightyear speed glossing over the essential details, so when I read the textbook I don't get it. Then if I try to teach myself out a revision guide, they turn around and tell us that the revision guide alone will only get you to a grade C!! So what am I meant to do?? Grr.

For Chemistry one of my teachers has been ill since September and so far we've had a supply teacher every other lesson; a supposed Chem graduate who did not know what ionisation energies were :rolleyes: I'm afraid that the rate we're going through the syllabus is too slow because I haven't covered a lot of the stuff the other group have.

For German the lessons themselves are okay but I'm feeling a bit overwhelmed by the amount of vocabulary there is; but I just don't have the time to learn all the vocab every night! On top of that I had my first speaking session with the assistant today, in which I could not construct a coherent sentence together. The tapes are really, really, really fast and I'm not sure if I'm improving at all from GCSE level.

Maths is just killing me, full stop. I thought I was okay at Maths but it turns out that I don't have a mathematical brain whatsoever, and it takes me ages to understand the simplist concepts. I just end up feeling 'woah' and feeling really really dumb because I don't get it. I also have a test next week which I don't know when I'll find the time to revise for. I'm starting to feel that maybe I shouldn't have taken a fast track Maths course if I'm feeling the strain from just C1 and S1!! We have twilight maths sessions until 5 every Mon & Tues which gives me even less time to do homework etc at home.

Well now that's off my shoulder. I think that it's good to vent your frustrations out every once in a while because if you keep it inside it'll just stress you out! I'm sorry that you're feeling so overwhelmed at the moment, but I guess we're just experiencing the infamous 'gap' between GCSE and A level. Perseverence is the key I guess - try and catch up during half term and you'll probably get more used to the workload by then.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    I'm sorry that you're feeling so overwhelmed at the moment, but I guess we're just experiencing the infamous 'gap' between GCSE and A level. Perseverence is the key I guess - try and catch up during half term and you'll probably get more used to the workload by then.
    Doing exactly the same A levels as you, and have pretty much the same problems - teachers being vague then having a go at you for doing badly, and the huuuge amount of vocab for german.

I hadn't even realised the gap until about a week ago and then it hit me smack bang in the face. I am now so stressed out - it is seriously tempting to just spend the whole weekend sleeping

ReputationRep:
    You're doing wuthering heights? I thought that was taken off the syllabus for this year....

ReputationRep:
    A-Level-ers do work?

ReputationRep:
    Have you spoken to any of the teachers? Ours have said that they can reorganise work and help if we're struggling.

ReputationRep:
    For Biology I also have a test on everything we've done tomorrow, but my teachers are SO crap that it's really stressing me out. It's not just that they are incapable of the skill 'explaining' - there are gaping holes in what they teach us. They go through each topic lightyear speed glossing over the essential details, so when I read the textbook I don't get it. Then if I try to teach myself out a revision guide, they turn around and tell us that the revision guide alone will only get you to a grade C!! So what am I meant to do?? Grr.
    LOL I feel the same! and I have a test on thursday! I dont know what it is about biology but it seems the biology teachers cant really teach. Out of 4 biology teachers I had (2 overseas 2 in the UK) none of them really taught 'well'. It seemed that I had to do too much self-study. Well, most of the time I ended up just memorising stuff but I really didnt understand much.

But lucky for me I am coping well with maths, chemistry and physics. So that gives me time for biology. Lets not even mentioned photography coz I hate it!

ReputationRep:
    wow, i feel sorry for you

im finding the workload of key stage 3 to 4 a bit hard, but you guys are doing as-levels

good luck all

ReputationRep:

-SNIP-

Aww Excalibur :hugs: It's okay, It's alright (...alright I was listening to Nelly Furtado's Promiscuous Girl and got a little sidetracked :p:)Like Excalibur said, we are all in the same boat so don't worry you are not alone!

You have to just take it as it comes, I pre-occupy myself with all the work that I find that I more focused on getting all this work done than stress out, that is not to say that I feel the stress, everyone does! I have short tests almost every other week it seems. You have to get used to them and so what if you mess up on one of them?

Alright, so chillax!

ReputationRep:
    Because I'm now only doing 3 A2's the workload seems light atm. I still Try to do loads of extra hours outside of lesson for my subject though.

Excalibur: You say you don't think your teacher is covering the chemistry syllabus quick enough? That was the case with my teacher for AS last year. The way to get around it is to practically teach yourself along side the lessons. It's what I had to do. It's called independent studying. You can't rely on your teacher to teach you what you need to get an A , and you'll find it alot more rewarding and productive if you cover things you should be doing in lesson, on your own Although You may not have as much time as i had last year, and i appreciate that.

Also about not having a maths brain, (you clearly Do ) . Thats the excuse I always came up with when There was something I couldnt quite grasp. The thing is, at A Level you have to put alot of effort in compared with GCSE. Raw talent alone won't get you through. And that applies to every subject really

If you find the workload hard now people, then thats a good thing. You're obviously not slacking, and are going flat out. You are the sort of people who will get the A Grades and the 100% modules, as opposed to those people who arent finding the workload hard at the moment because they're simply not putting as much into it as you guys.

ReputationRep:
    Aww Excalibur, I know the feeling! It gets me how (my Biology *** of a teacher) expects us to work 24 hours a day, but careers advisors say unis like people who are involved with out of school things...wtf?

ReputationRep:
    To all workload complainers: Welcome to A-levels and get used to it, you havn't seen nothing yet uf you've just started AS! =)

ReputationRep:
    ^ I was just about to say that - especially if you're dong arts subjects. I'm Doing English, History and French - this week I've had:
    - 2 English essays + notes
    - 2 history essays
    - 1 history documents paper
    - 2 hrs worth of history coursework
    - 2 french essays
    - A french newspaper article to translate
    - French grammar and other little exercises.

I seriously DO NOT know how people doing 4 subjects cope, let alone one friend who is doing 6! Argh crazy girl! Plus in 6th form there is such pressure to be like wonder woman, and do everything else - like tomorrow I have to chair a School Council meeting and then chair a leavers' ball committe meeting and then go to a driving lesson and then have an extra english lesson after school, and on top of that my bus has stopped going so I have to cycle 5 miles home

ReputationRep:
    I do Bio Chem, Physics and psych - teachers can go real slow sometimes and leave gaping holes - I know the feeling. I found psych to be not hard - just a lot of work 60 + studies this year....gonne be fun

Keep at it people , wait til you get offers this time next yr - there is a light at the end of the longgggggg tunnel.

Good luck

Wangers

(Original post by Nathan_Ley3)
    You are the sort of people who will get the A Grades and the 100% modules, as opposed to those people who arent finding the workload hard at the moment because they're simply not putting as much into it as you guys.
    That describes my attitude, and experiences, during my AS levels

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all for your encouragements. I'm sorry that I ranted on for ages :p: it feels better though that a lot of people are/were in the same boat...

ReputationRep:
    I'd download Wuthering Heights as an Audiobook, so you can do two things at once. Thats what I did when I had to read Great Expectations. Saved a lot of time.

But if you can't juggle two things just remember to give yourself a break from all the work.

Is your workload always going to be so much? If its a one off, the likelyhood is you may get less work after you've finished this lot.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks all for your encouragements. I'm sorry that I ranted on for ages :p: it feels better though that a lot of people are/were in the same boat...
    Hi! Don't worry for ranting, A Levels are such hard work, especially in the first few months where you get used to the transition from GCSE to A Level.

Have you spoken to the head of science/another teacher about your Chemistry teacher? I know how you feel about poor teaching, my 2 amazing History teachers have left and we have 2 new ones, and they're just not teaching us well at all, and then seem to get surprised (like yesterday) when we're all confused!

:hugs: I'm finding A2 really hard at the moment, but PM me if you feel you need someone to talk to/get advice from/

Oh, and don't forget, you are bright, you did exceptionally well in your GCSEs, but AS is a shock, and I promise, it will click!

University open days

• University of Bradford
    All faculties Undergraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Buckinghamshire New University
    All Faculties Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
  • Heriot-Watt University
    All Schools Postgraduate
    Wed, 21 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.