The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I did 4 A-levels (French, sociology, English lit and history) plus self-taught GCSE Spanish in Year 13, so I definitely know what you all mean about the workload! It should get easier though. The first month or so when you're still adjusting from GCSE and the last couple of months of coursework and revision are the worst, but the rest of the year shouldn't be quite as bad. If you get into the habit of using all or most of your frees at school to work and doing a bit of work at home in the evenings, you should still have some time left over for having a life! Starting is always the hardest part because you look at the huge mountain of work you have to and think it will take hours, but once you get on with it, it's not usually as bad as you think. Just prioritise and take regular short breaks either between each task or every 30 minutes. As Nathan_Ley3 said, the fact that you're finding the workload a challenge means you're putting in lots of effort, so I'm sure you'll all reap the benefits on results day :smile:
HMMMM i feel exactly the the same, except mine is self inflicted, i am sooo lazy, i do nothing in my free periods (its sooooooooo much more fun in the commmon room :biggrin: :redface: ) and i work too much (sat an sun and 2 evenings a week) and i get distracted when i am at home by my sister who i just sit and chat to for hours. I have literally done no work at home since i started year 12. :frown:

:frown: :frown: I need Motivation:frown: :frown:
Does anyone else feel this kind of mental block, where they just can't face going through all that trauma of exams and AS's after the GCSE stress and work?
Reply 23
It is working too much through the course and there not being enough time for de-stressing actives, as I burnt out when it came to GCSE hence getting B's instead of A's which I was predicted also the only reason for A's in Geography and Product Design is that both teachers left mid-year 11 on maternity leave, so pritorise my little revsion around them two subjects.
hi - i remember being in this exact situation not too long ago. it was really crazy the way out bio course was taught - it was practicaly the same thing that you are going through where the teachers leave out stuff. the advice i could give on that is to seek external sources - like past papers or other textbooks --- only for reference coz they leave out stuff too. and teach yourself the material - do a little every day and you will be able to get through it quick. i actually got a D in my AS - i got so freaked! i did resits and all - got the A in AS and then a B in A2- i did that with just teaching myself. trust me, in the end its worth it! - i am currently in the university of sheffield and i'm studying architecture - the workload is MUCH less that a levels i can assure you of that............. just hang in there :wink:
Reply 25
darkfairy753
Don't worry, apparantly A2 is supposed to be the hardest, and it becomes more managable and fun at uni (providing you're studying the subject you like at uni)!

I'm finding A2 really hard at the moment :frown: argh.
Reply 26
A2 is hard & it is the actual amount of work you have to do and little amount of time you have. Also i want to get ucas sorted out by friday so i can fullly focus on A2. But i am finding quite stressful. Esp about jan exams i dont know how i am going to find the time to revise for each A2 subject!!!
Reply 27
darkfairy753
I know, especially with all the A2 Music composition going on and performance investigation etc.! :frown: Doesn't help that I'm doing the AS history paper and composition at the same time :s:

I think I am doing a different exam board, but I find the listening paper hard, and then I have to retake the AS compositional techniques paper, which I only gor 75/120 on to try and get my grade up, and the teacher's note very good
Reply 28
PurpleSnow
Does anyone else feel this kind of mental block, where they just can't face going through all that trauma of exams and AS's after the GCSE stress and work?

PurpleSnow, i just repped you and gave you your second gem! Woot! :p:
Reply 29
PurpleSnow

Me, but with A2s! Especially, since the exams count the most...and I am worried about getting an A in Music.
Reply 30
Thanks for whoever repped me on this thread today, please show yourself :smile:
Reply 31
C'etait moi, Nicki, you gave some really good advice! Sorry my rep isn't worth anything.
hey guys i feel your pain. Just keep in sight those dreams and aspirations.
Reply 33
I have an essay due today and was set wednesday. now i'm in the library 'working' , the book we were studying was dispatched by amazon on the 10th, still havent got it yet to do my work, been given extended time till monday, just banking on the saturday delivery to come through so i can do it.! plus 2 sociology essays , a physics test on the whole electricity module!
tell me about it. we will all be happier once we've done it:smile:

I did as levels last year at one poor school, i've just moved to a new one doing as's again and the workload is twice as much and also the intense competition between everyone to succeed is worrying. I think all this work will only help though. By the end of next week i will have written 15+ essays. first 5 were hard, the next few were just a chore and now i find them easier.

Maths and Physics are my easiest ones so far compared to english lit and sociology as they are the same relevant stuff and nothings changed. The others are hard with the amount of analysing and essay work.
I know what you mean about A2 work taking up loads of time. One of my German teachers said to me yesterday "Now you actually rest during half term!" before giving me a mock test and another piece of work, after I told her I had to do Media coursework during half term. And then today I got 2 pieces from another German teacher. I expect more.
Reply 35
I feel the same, I am seriously wondering how I am going to be able to get good grades on my four january exams.
Reply 36
Teachers that don't know stuff about their own subject annoy me. Not that I expect them to know every little detail, but they should at least make sure they are very knowledgeable before jumping into the classroom. Thankfully I've been lucky and my teachers are very good.
Reply 37
hannah_dru
I know what you mean about A2 work taking up loads of time. One of my German teachers said to me yesterday "Now you actually rest during half term!" before giving me a mock test and another piece of work, after I told her I had to do Media coursework during half term. And then today I got 2 pieces from another German teacher. I expect more.

I always get told to relax in holidays as I get told I work too hard/stress too much. But I am sure I won't be able to, I can just see a huge amount of work piling up :frown:
Right, I have...

English: Read 5 books (set texts), 4 essays, research, background reading
AEA: Reading
Chemistry: Revision for test, redoing notes to ensure I understand work so far
Biology: Revision for test, questions, past papers, more past papers, redoing notes, background reading
AEA: Do the paper plus the necessary extra reading
Critical thinking: Read chapters 1-5, read all sheets, do about 5 activities
School magazine: Write 3 articles
UCAS: Choose course, choose unis, write PS

Plus driving lessons, part time job and general **** of life.

Latest

Trending

Trending