Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I have almost finished my personal statement and just have 100 characters and 2 lines left. So I was wondering if it is essential to give a title.

If I do, I probably have to explain it again and that will take more characters and lines.

Have any of you not given titles got responses, or given titles but not explained them? Need some advice

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    I didn't give mine a title and I've received three offers so far. I don't think it's necessary.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know people did titles lol?
    But no, I wouldn't use one.

ReputationRep:
    I've never known anyone to put a tittle in their personal statement. Surely you applying to the course and writing the statement lets them know your intentions anyway so you don't exactly need one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by a9493r)
    Hi,

I have almost finished my personal statement and just have 100 characters and 2 lines left. So I was wondering if it is essential to give a title.

If I do, I probably have to explain it again and that will take more characters and lines.

Have any of you not given titles got responses, or given titles but not explained them? Need some advice

Thanks
    Never heard of anyone giving their ps a title! I didn't and have 3 offers so far.
    Universities know that you have a tight word limit so they don't expect a title. Don't worry about it!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Iridann)
    I didn't know people did titles lol?
    But no, I wouldn't use one.
    Thanks !! That helps

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BobbieShamrock)
    Never heard of anyone giving their ps a title! I didn't and have 3 offers so far.
    Universities know that you have a tight word limit so they don't expect a title. Don't worry about it!
    Thanks that's cool then
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    PS Reviewer
    Agree with the above posters. You don't need a title and I don't think I've ever seen one in all the years that I've been reviewing PSs.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Hi,

Thanks
    As others say, it would be a grave mistake to put a title. Why did you think you needed one? :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    As others say, it would be a grave mistake to put a title. Why did you think you needed one? :P
    Ummm, why would that be a grave mistake...actually had some words left, so my tutor suggested.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Ummm, why would that be a grave mistake...actually had some words left, so my tutor suggested.
    To have words left at all is a bit odd, surely? A few thousand characters to summarise your life achievements?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    To have words left at all is a bit odd, surely?
    No it isn't. It obviously isn't a good sign if you have loads of leftover space, but a few lines doesn't matter. Adding a couple of pointless sentences at the end just to fill up space can ruin an otherwise good statement.

ReputationRep:
    To have words left at all is a bit odd, surely? A few thousand characters to summarise your life achievements?
    Oh that way..just had like 6words left at the end after the tutor told me to edit some parts and make it simple...then he said if possible make spac for a title if possible...but then I decided to put new stuffs and then it's reached max...
    • Community Assistant
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    PS Reviewer
    I've been helping with Personal Statements on here since 2006 and not once have I seen a title. I doubt it is necessary.

If you honestly can't find something to add to fill the space that will enhance your PS, then don't feel bad about leaving it blank. Better too short and memorable than too long and rambling.

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Find your perfect uni course

Don't know where to apply? Let our uni match maker be your guide

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.