Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Say four people live in a house together and three of them pay rent on time every month. We had one person paying late and the estate agents has fined us all £30 each. Is that right? Why isn't just the individual fined? Why all of us?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Creat0r)
    Say four people live in a house together and three of them pay rent on time every month. We had one person paying late and the estate agents has fined us all £30 each. Is that right? Why isn't just the individual fined? Why all of us?
    The estate agent cant fine you, that's illegal. Don't pay it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    True, but they can write a contract that imposes a late payment fee of £30 a head which the OP can mis-describe as a fine, in which case the OP is buggered (and the tenants are normally jointly and severally liable, meaning that it is inescapable).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Ok. What about the person that actually paid the fees months late? Is he/she alone eligible to be charged?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    True, but they can write a contract that imposes a late payment fee of £30 a head which the OP can mis-describe as a fine, in which case the OP is buggered (and the tenants are normally jointly and severally liable, meaning that it is inescapable).
    Such a contract term would be unenforceable.

If OP were to not pay it, they would need to take it from the deposit. OP then challenges this through the deposit projection scheme and the letting agent will lose the appeal.

ReputationRep:
    Ok. What about the person that actually paid the fees months late? Is he/she alone eligible to be charged?
    Read my previous post, and the rental agreement.

ReputationRep:
    Will this be on the contract we all signed when signing for the house?

ReputationRep:
    Noone is eligable as it's not a valid fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Such a contract term would be unenforceable.
    Why? It doesn't seem unreasonable to me, and banks and credit card companies impose such late payment fees all the time and they are enforceable (and enforced).

ReputationRep:
    Will this be on the contract we all signed when signing for the house?
    Yes.

ReputationRep:
    Why? It doesn't seem unreasonable to me, and banks and credit card companies impose such late payment fees all the time and they are enforceable (and enforced).
    Banks and credit card companies have been told time and time again that their fees are not fines and must be directly related to the costs incurred by the company for dealing with the unauthorised overdraft etc.

The landlord (note: NOT lettings agency, the contract is with the landlord) would need to prove they have suffered a financial hit of £120 due to the late payment of the rent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    Banks and credit card companies have been told time and time again that their fees are not fines
    The only person thinking this is a fine is the OP (who doesn't know that "rental agreement" is a synonym for "contract").

ReputationRep:
    The only person thinking this is a fine is the OP (who doesn't know that "rental agreement" is a synonym for "contract").
    So back to my original point: This charge is unenforcable as it does not reflect costs incurred by the landlord.

ReputationRep:
    Well I got mixed up with the terminology.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    So back to my original point: This charge is unenforcable as it does not reflect costs incurred by the landlord.
    This is really helpful and thank you. Do you know where I can find this elsewhere on the internet? Just that I 'm about to tell my housemates what you just said and the only source I have so far is "nice friendly person on student room".

ReputationRep:
    This is really helpful and thank you. Do you know where I can find this elsewhere on the internet? Just that I 'm about to tell my housemates what you just said and the only source I have so far is "nice friendly person on student room".
    Your best souce of info would be to ask the tenancy deposit scheme that your deposit is registered with, because ultimiately if you refused to pay it would be them to decide whether the 'fine' should be deducted from your deposit.

Either way: what have you got to lose by not paying it? They certainly cant fine you for late payment of a fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Reue)
    That is an arguable point. On the face of it the clause (assuming it exists) is a liquidated damages clause. The only remedy is to pay it and then take the landlord to court, claiming it is a disguised penalty clause and that the charge is too high.

In the meantime, the OP and his friends should come to an arrangement with the flatmate that hasn't paid on time, involving his/her compensation of them.

ReputationRep:
    The only remedy is to pay it and then take the landlord to court, claiming it is a disguised penalty clause and that the charge is too high.
    The introduction of the deposit protection scheme was specifically to avoid this kind of court requirement and put the burden of proof onto the landlord to justify the deductions,

The only remedy is to not pay it and watch the landlord try and justify the deduction to the protection scheme.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Find out more

Accommodation profiles:

Downing Students

Universal Student Living

“Over 25 years of perfecting the student accommodation experience. Downing Students. Accommodation Made for you”

Prodigy Living

Prodigy Living

Accommodation in 15 cities across the UK, with 24 sites providing modern, stylish en suite and studio rooms close to the major universities.

iQ Student Accommodation

iQ Student Accommodation

Great value student rooms in city centre locations all across the UK

X1 Lettings

X1 Lettings

Luxury student accommodation in Liverpool & Manchester.

Collegiate Accommodation

Collegiate Accommodation

"This is student living. Just better."

Scape Student Living

Study Inn

Providing stunning high quality, boutique student accommodation throughout the UK

The Student Housing Company

The Student Housing Company

Award-winning student accommodation across the UK.

Articles:

Student accommodation articles What to take to uniDo I need a TV licence?

Quick link:

Unanswered student accommodation threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.