Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

copying books? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    What are the benefits/drawbacks of copying novels or maths textbooks rather than reading them?
    I'm trying to decide what to do with my books.

My ideas:

Benefits are it might keep you more engaged, some authors did this to see what it was like to write a novel, you can improve your notes until you've only got the good bits so no prefaces for the student, introduction from someone else or critic reviews etc

Drawbacks are it's more time consuming, paper and pens to copy cost money.

ReputationRep:
    Does it vary from person to person what is best?
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    Sorry, what?

Why would you copy a book? :-/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    Sorry, what?

Why would you copy a book? :-/
    I don't have the concentration just to read...
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by nohomo)
    I don't have the concentration just to read...
    That makes no sense whatsoever

ReputationRep:
    You don't have the concentration to read but you think you have the attention to copy out a book? What?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    That makes no sense whatsoever

(Original post by Arkasia)
    You don't have the concentration to read but you think you have the attention to copy out a book? What?
    I know it sounds weird but when I read I get bored easily and caught up with prefaces etc.

I've never copied a novel, only a maths textbooks.

Perhaps novels are more of a reading thing.

ReputationRep:
    Make relevant notes, and make them on a computer. If you make them using pen-and-paper then every time you want to edit them you have to start from scratch instead of just hitting the backspace key. Copying an entire textbook will not make for relevant revision notes since they will basically be the entire book that you were supposed to be making the notes from! You need to condense the important information in your own words into manageable portions of text.

As for copying down a novel, this is completely pointless. You say that you want to do it because you can't concentrate on reading it; typing at the same time will just provide something else to distract yourself with - it will not aid your understanding of the book. It is probably best that you just sit down, suck it up, and read the book.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nohomo)
    I know it sounds weird but when I read I get bored easily and caught up with prefaces etc.

I've never copied a novel, only a maths textbooks.

Perhaps novels are more of a reading thing.
    You copied a maths textbook? Did you answer the questions?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Don't let David Cameron hear about you copying these great works of intellectual property. Authors have a tough enough time as it is without people copying out their works by hand.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arkasia)
    You copied a maths textbook? Did you answer the questions?
    I answered the questions in the book. It's usually undergrad or graduate books I copy and always different ones so not just a level over and over.

I have an asperger's diagnosis and know this might sound stupid or odd.

I think the copying gives me structure to empty time and makes me feel productive in leisure time although I know it is pointless.

I have considered doing more guitar, drawing, or something else... These things are more socially acceptable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VannR)
    Make relevant notes, and make them on a computer. If you make them using pen-and-paper then every time you want to edit them you have to start from scratch instead of just hitting the backspace key. Copying an entire textbook will not make for relevant revision notes since they will basically be the entire book that you were supposed to be making the notes from! You need to condense the important information in your own words into manageable portions of text.

As for copying down a novel, this is completely pointless. You say that you want to do it because you can't concentrate on reading it; typing at the same time will just provide something else to distract yourself with - it will not aid your understanding of the book. It is probably best that you just sit down, suck it up, and read the book.
    So notes for maths, just read novels?

This isn't for formal education, just my own interest so there's no time limit other than my death/decline.

ReputationRep:
    If you have trouble concentrating on reading in the long term, break it up. Spend, say, 10 minutes reading and then go off to do something else, but keep coming back to read. Or you could split it up into sections/chapters, reading one or two at a time.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.