Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Creativity and Intelligence watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys,
    I have an interest in the relationship between intelligence and creativity, im wondering if anyone here is both highly intelligent and creative?

It seems most people are one or the other, but not both. I mean are there more people than we think who are artistic, musical etc.... AND academic? I knew a guy who was highly intelligent, a whiz at math and the sciences, and he was also highly creative in that he could draw/paint, make music, play piano, and also enjoyed creative writing....

The popular theory is that some people are left brained, and some right brained, but is this true and how many people are actually both highly creative and intelligent/academic/logical?

I do believe in multiple intelligences theory but I also believe there are a lucky few who have a global-interhemisphere intelligence....

Is there anyone here who is artisitc/musical but also academic/intelligent?

I have known of one person in my life who was an amazing drawer and a great musician, as well as achieving all A grades in his A levels in Math, physics, chemistry and biology....

Not fair! :P haha I am definietly 'right' brain dominant.... The other half of my brain is poorly wired I guess :P

ReputationRep:
    Elliott Smith is my favourite artist and he was pretty good academically I think. Don't know how difficult this is but he was on the honour roll in high school and got a philosophy degree.

Brian May has a PhD and is also a rocker!

ReputationRep:
    Also lots of authors did well academically in general then were creative in their writing e.g. Kurt Vonnegut

ReputationRep:
    Leonardo da vinci. Forgot what he was famous for (art or science)?

ReputationRep:
    The left lobe/right is a false dichotomy. And you're conflating so many terms here. Academic arete as being equivocal with intellectualism ... Lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    left / right brain is now pseudoscience iirc

the division between creativity and intelligence is stupid imo

ReputationRep:
    I'm neither creative nor particularly bright, so I guess it must be possible :ahee:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Strong logic :pierre:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LordCairo)
    Hi guys,
    I have an interest in the relationship between intelligence and creativity, im wondering if anyone here is both highly intelligent and creative?

It seems most people are one or the other, but not both. I mean are there more people than we think who are artistic, musical etc.... AND academic? I knew a guy who was highly intelligent, a whiz at math and the sciences, and he was also highly creative in that he could draw/paint, make music, play piano, and also enjoyed creative writing....

The popular theory is that some people are left brained, and some right brained, but is this true and how many people are actually both highly creative and intelligent/academic/logical?

I do believe in multiple intelligences theory but I also believe there are a lucky few who have a global-interhemisphere intelligence....

Is there anyone here who is artisitc/musical but also academic/intelligent?

I have known of one person in my life who was an amazing drawer and a great musician, as well as achieving all A grades in his A levels in Math, physics, chemistry and biology....

Not fair! :P haha I am definietly 'right' brain dominant.... The other half of my brain is poorly wired I guess :P
    Your description fits me pretty well tbh. I've always been highly academic and fairly good at maths and sciences, I'm currently in my 3rd year of a chemistry degree.

On the flip side, I also love art, literally any blank space on a sheet of paper that's near me will get doodled on :lol:. I'm also quite musical: an amateur keyboard player as well as being proficient in languages.

ReputationRep:
    I've never heard of being left-brained/right-brained.

I

iz

confused.

ReputationRep:
    If the less intelligent were more creative, then my cat would be composing symphonies rather than spending all his time lying about and staring at anything that moves.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources
AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.