Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello,

I'm currently a sophomore in high school, my second of four years.
    I plan on applying to Cambridge for engineering or economics and I was wondering my chances of getting in.

I go to a selective, private school and take 3 honors classes and 1 AP.
    Nexr year I will take at least 3 Aps and 4 my last year.

I have a 4.1 gpa.

A 31 on my act but I'm taking it 2 more times.

I also play two school sports at varsity level and swim on a national-level club team year-round.

What at are my chances?

Thank you

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gilliang9)
    Hello,

I'm currently a sophomore in high school, my second of four years.
    I plan on applying to Cambridge for engineering or economics and I was wondering my chances of getting in.

I go to a selective, private school and take 3 honors classes and 1 AP.
    Nexr year I will take at least 3 Aps and 4 my last year.

I have a 4.1 gpa.

A 31 on my act but I'm taking it 2 more times.

I also play two school sports at varsity level and swim on a national-level club team year-round.

What at are my chances?

Thank you
    Helloo

I follow the US curriculum too so I think I can give some advice.

Firstly, Cambridge requires applicants following the US curriculum to submit our transcript, but it is very minor, and as long as your GPA is decent, which yours definitely is, then its no problem.

As for ACT, 31 is not bad, but maybe take it once more and try to improve on that. You might not want to take it twice more, because Cambridge does frown on retakes to some extent, so do try to do really well on your next test so you don't have to take it again afterwards!

As for APs, you need 5 5s in relevant subjects. May I ask what APs you are taking, have taken, and will take?

Extra-curriculars do not matter unless they are directly related to your subject.

If you get all 5s from now until applying, you'll have four 5s (same as me when I applied), so you will most likely receive an interview, and if you receive an offer, it will be conditional on one or more 5s.

Once you get the interview, its impossible to chance you, but an interview means you have the potential to succeed in the course.

For the record, I received an interview with 5,5,5,5,4,3 for APs, 2140 on SAT I and 800 Math II, 740 Physics. I applied for Law, so all my APs were technically relevant. Was very unsure of obtaining an interview TBH because of my 3!

I'm retaking AP Eng Lit which I got a 3 in, and taking AP Eng Lang as well.

If you have any more questions, feel free to quote me in your post

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hellofello)
    Helloo

I follow the US curriculum too so I think I can give some advice.

Firstly, Cambridge requires applicants following the US curriculum to submit our transcript, but it is very minor, and as long as your GPA is decent, which yours definitely is, then its no problem.

As for ACT, 31 is not bad, but maybe take it once more and try to improve on that. You might not want to take it twice more, because Cambridge does frown on retakes to some extent, so do try to do really well on your next test so you don't have to take it again afterwards!

As for APs, you need 5 5s in relevant subjects. May I ask what APs you are taking, have taken, and will take?

Extra-curriculars do not matter unless they are directly related to your subject.

If you get all 5s from now until applying, you'll have four 5s (same as me when I applied), so you will most likely receive an interview, and if you receive an offer, it will be conditional on one or more 5s.

Once you get the interview, its impossible to chance you, but an interview means you have the potential to succeed in the course.

For the record, I received an interview with 5,5,5,5,4,3 for APs, 2140 on SAT I and 800 Math II, 740 Physics. I applied for Law, so all my APs were technically relevant. Was very unsure of obtaining an interview TBH because of my 3!

I'm retaking AP Eng Lit which I got a 3 in, and taking AP Eng Lang as well.

If you have any more questions, feel free to quote me in your post
    i plan on taking AP Physics, AP environment, AP Calculus or Statistics, AP gov, AP macro, And at least 1 ap English course. I am currently taking AP US history.

ReputationRep:
    My d is American (and applied from public school in France) and got in. Cam is absolutely fabulous, it is meeting her expectations and ours.

She had the grades, as it appears you do. Her extracurriculars included singing, which they liked - she is in a college chorus.

What is missing from what you have described is your experience in your chosen field, what you can use to prove your commitment, originality, and knowledge.

My d is in archaeology. She did internships locally, but also started reading on her own about the historical Jesus and the development of early Christianity. She then did 2 internships in Israel and knew that she absolutely loved the field with a passion. That went right into her essays and believe me, they grilled her on every detail in her interviews.

Cam, as they say, wants to filter people in, not out. I wish you the best of luck.

ReputationRep:
    What at are my chances?
    Likely not relevant to you, since my (American) son is reading maths at Cambridge now and was home schooled. He applied with no GPA, no APs, no SATs, no ACTs. Their "requirements" are just guidelines. Really what you have to do is convince them you are likely to be exceptional in the course you're applying for.

So if you do have grades you want them to be good, but I encourage you to concentrate on pursuing your interests, and doing so deeply and meaningfully. Being good at your chosen field already is the best way to demonstrate that you can be good.

ReputationRep:
    i plan on taking AP Physics, AP environment, AP Calculus or Statistics, AP gov, AP macro, And at least 1 ap English course. I am currently taking AP US history.
    I think whichever course you pick between Engineering and Econ, its a good idea to take AP Physics C as your physics course. Its much more rigorous and its calculus based. That being said, AP Calc > AP Stat if you are only taking one, and try to take AP Calc BC. Perhaps for Econ, try to take Micro/Macro as well, though its not a requirement. I suppose AP Environmental Science counts as related. Since from what I know (I may be wrong), there is a lot of essay writing involved in the Econ course at Cambridge, so might be good getting a 5 in Lit or Lang, whichever one you take.

I'm not sure if AP Gov/USH/ will be looked at much if you are applying for those two courses, as they won't be considered "relevant".

Not an expert on this, so if anyone thinks otherwise, then please correct me!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.