KarlK
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hi,

I'm an international student going to Cambridge for my engineering interview (and pre-interview test) next week. I read through all the information and noticed that data books are not allowed on the test.

In my home country, tests in maths/physics are always taken with a data book or at least a sheet containing relevant formulas. The idea is that students should not need to memorize formulas. Knowing how to apply them is enough.

So, how does it work in the UK? Do I need to start memorizing or can I keep my cool?
Placeboo123
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
Decent subjects, where you from?
Blazar
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KarlK)
Hi,

I'm an international student going to Cambridge for my engineering interview (and pre-interview test) next week. I read through all the information and noticed that data books are not allowed on the test.

In my home country, tests in maths/physics are always taken with a data book or at least a sheet containing relevant formulas. The idea is that students should not need to memorize formulas. Knowing how to apply them is enough.

So, how does it work in the UK? Do I need to start memorizing or can I keep my cool?
I did Advanced Higher Physics, Maths and Mechanics (applied maths). I was only allowed a data book in the physics exam, and even then I had to know several pages of proofs and derivations. Generally, the more difficult the exam, the less likely you are to be allowed a data book. I'd say email the admissions office to check, but you'll probably need to memorise the equations.
KarlK
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
(Original post by Blazar)
I did Advanced Higher Physics, Maths and Mechanics (applied maths). I was only allowed a data book in the physics exam, and even then I had to know several pages of proofs and derivations. Generally, the more difficult the exam, the less likely you are to be allowed a data book. I'd say email the admissions office to check, but you'll probably need to memorise the equations.
Thanks Blazar, that's the kind of answer I was looking for.

A further question: How am I expected to address the interviewers? Their title is Dr.
Blazar
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by KarlK)
Thanks Blazar, that's the kind of answer I was looking for.

A further question: How am I expected to address the interviewers? Their title is Dr.
I have to say, I'm not entirely sure on that. I'd personally wait and see how they introduce themselves and go by that. If in doubt, it's safer to go for Dr (last name) than their first name.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Current uni students - are you thinking of dropping out of university?

Yes, I'm seriously considering dropping out (193)
14.31%
I'm not sure (60)
4.45%
No, I'm going to stick it out for now (393)
29.13%
I have already dropped out (37)
2.74%
I'm not a current university student (666)
49.37%

Watched Threads