Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do girls seem to ignore texts messages? watch

ReputationRep:
    WOULD REALLY APPRECIATE A GIRL'S PERSPECTIVE

Thing is I'm not bombarding any girl with messages. I would like to know how to stay friends with a girl. Some girls contact me often. These are the best kind as it feels like a two way street!

I have a few female friends and a few girls I met, unfortunately did not get enough time to build a massive rapport owing to luck of the draw in when I met them, but there is a lot of variety in how girls respond.

Is it just down to personality of the girl?

Some girls seem to respond to texts with enthusiasm and strike conversations. Others respond, then ask a question and then somehow ignore the next one or the message after that.

Some just ignore a have a good weekend message and then respond to the next one I send about a month later. What's with that?

I know some will say "call a girl", etc, but if you're not trying to ask them out then and there, or they live abroad or far away, how do you play this great conversation game?

There is a girl who I got in touch with after she came and said hi to me in person. I moved for work reasons, but managed to ask her for her number. Subsequently, she responded to nearly all texts over the last year (about a month apart). But thing is we had great rapport in person, it was harder in text. I was getting nervous so have reduced the frequency. She didn't reply to the last one, and I am worried about sending xmas and new years. On top of that, I think one of my mates said her birthday was around new years. I didn't know that last year. How do I naturally find this out from her to be able to wish her?

If girls don't initiate, is that a sign they don't even want to be friends? It seems that some girls even talk to not so nice guys. One of my friends seemed to get on with her in conversation despite the fact he is not a gentleman at all. However, he seemed to have struck out, when they didn't speak at all after a month.

If a girl ignores you, or you see she has been on whatsapp, what to do? Should a girl have to initiate to display she wants to be friends with you?

ReputationRep:
    How come some girls reply back to you in good time, (not necessarily immediately, but when they're free), and enthusiastically.... whilst others seem to be online chatting to others and ignore your message?

Are they just going to reply when they are bored? Are they as nervous as you and trying to say something special or cool? Are they waiting because for the others they just buzz back a quick message and for you they want to have a great conversation with?

Do girls blank because they are nervous? Or are some girls using you for attention or as a backup boyfriend even if they are single?

Girls, your advice would be appreciated.. how do you talk to a girl on whatsapp?

What to say to get her initiating to you all the time and replying back often so it's a buzzy conversation?
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    I think sometimes they do it because they are on their period?

:iiam:

ReputationRep:
    Because they don't want to talk to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes I will ignore a guy if I actively don't like him, but this isn't often.

This might sound odd but it's possible that they don't want to sound desperate or anything (even if it is just a friendship). Her way of not constantly messaging back may just be a 'I'm friends with you but I have other friends too' kinda move.

But you don't want to look into it too much if it just turns out that she was too busy doing homework or something to reply...

Sorry, I doubt I helped much...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    In my experience, guys ignore more messages than girls.

Because they seem oblivious to the fact that you might want a response and you're bothered by the fact they can't make a few keystrokes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TillyP)
    Sometimes I will ignore a guy if I actively don't like him, but this isn't often.

This might sound odd but it's possible that they don't want to sound desperate or anything (even if it is just a friendship). Her way of not constantly messaging back may just be a 'I'm friends with you but I have other friends too' kinda move.

But you don't want to look into it too much if it just turns out that she was too busy doing homework or something to reply...

Sorry, I doubt I helped much...
    On the contrary you have been helpful! Thanks

Okay, thing is I don't think she ever came across as desperate. In my view, she is so pretty too, and it would surprise me if she didn't have an entire city of friends talking to her. Maybe she was busy, but I suddenly felt sad when my wishes for her weekend went ignored. It happened once before when she was on holiday and replied later, but I feel a little confused.

Should I just leave it and message her at christmas then?

Also what do you think of the birthday conundrum?

Really appreciate your expert advice!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by miser)
    I think sometimes they do it because they are on their period?

:iiam:
    A mystery indeed.

(Original post by Odd socks)
    Because they don't want to talk to you?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Woah okay.

But then why reply at all? She replies say three hours later or a day later, when she has been online often enough.

Not all girls are like this. Some initiate and some actually start to talk a lot. There are even some who actually don't just want me to listen to their problems, but ask me how I am and actually listen and be interested!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)

Because they seem oblivious to the fact that you might want a response and you're bothered by the fact they can't make a few keystrokes.
    Weird, I've heard that quite a bit, but I'm a guy who always replies to messages from just about anyone. I feel it's rude not to.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pshah2)
    A mystery indeed.

Woah okay.

But then why reply at all? She replies say three hours later or a day later, when she has been online often enough.

Not all girls are like this. Some initiate and some actually start to talk a lot. There are even some who actually don't just want me to listen to their problems, but ask me how I am and actually listen and be interested!
    Not all girls are the same, some will feel like talking to you, some will reply maybe occasionally because they feel obligated to, to be polite but they're not actually that interested.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by pshah2)
    On the contrary you have been helpful! Thanks

Okay, thing is I don't think she ever came across as desperate. In my view, she is so pretty too, and it would surprise me if she didn't have an entire city of friends talking to her. Maybe she was busy, but I suddenly felt sad when my wishes for her weekend went ignored. It happened once before when she was on holiday and replied later, but I feel a little confused.

Should I just leave it and message her at christmas then?

Also what do you think of the birthday conundrum?

Really appreciate your expert advice!
    Well I'm not saying that you should just stop talking to her if you're friends and you'd like to speak to her before christmas... maybe try and talk to her through a different medium (i.e. skype call) so you can have her undivided attention (if you can't see eachother face to face).

If she does reply to casual 'have a good weekend' etc, try asking her about herself, seriously... we'll talk about ourselves forever :P

Hope that helps...
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by akshaylal)
    Weird, I've heard that quite a bit, but I'm a guy who always replies to messages from just about anyone. I feel it's rude not to.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't think they mean anything bad by it. My friends I mean.

My female friends just get my emotions better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by keromedic)

Funny, my experience is the opposite. I find that it seems impolite not to respond!

(Original post by akshaylal)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Likewise. I don't understand when someone just doesn't respond. It seems impolite. I don't know whether it's meant to be some mind game by some girls. Again, not all girls are like this. Some are awesome. Others seem to just want attention or someone to listen to them when they are bored.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Odd socks)
    Not all girls are the same, some will feel like talking to you, some will reply maybe occasionally because they feel obligated to, to be polite but they're not actually that interested.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    What to do as a guy if you are vaguely interested or want to maintain contact/friendship with said girl?

Also what to do about the birthday situation/new years as I mentioned above?

ReputationRep:
    Well I'm not saying that you should just stop talking to her if you're friends and you'd like to speak to her before christmas... maybe try and talk to her through a different medium (i.e. skype call) so you can have her undivided attention (if you can't see eachother face to face).

If she does reply to casual 'have a good weekend' etc, try asking her about herself, seriously... we'll talk about ourselves forever :P

Hope that helps...
    Definitely does. Thing is sometimes I send things like "How are you, hope you have a good weekend". Is that not good?

I'll send one for xmas and hope she replies sigh. I don't think we know each other well enough for skype or a phone call sadly. One day perhaps.

Thing is we're acquaintainces. We got on very well when we met (she actually came and spoke to me, as she is so hot I was shocked)

I would like to stay in touch and hopefully be friends, but am struggling to engage her in convo.

What do you think about the birthday situation as I mentioned in my OP?
    My friend was saying I was lucky as the girl is so hot. He saw her FB profile which said her birthday was on Jan 5th. I don't know whether to bring that up somehow near new years? How do I do it?

Thing is my friend isn't friends with her on there. Any ideas expert?

ReputationRep:

Hope that helps...
    So, tell me about yourself?

ReputationRep:
    Also what about the girl being online on whatsapp often, but somehow not having replied to your message? Is it:

1. She wants to send you a special message and take time on it
    2. She wants to have a lengthy flirty conversation with you when she has a lot of time rather than just reply with a short answer.
    3. She hasn't seen it
    4. She is playing a mind game by ignoring and waiting hours/days to respond to your text.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes we just get distracted and have better things to do than talk to people.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by So Instinct)
    So, tell me about yourself?
    Isn't that for a girl you literally just met, not one you met a year ago?

What does it mean if a girl ignores one message, but replies to the next? What if she doesn't initiate, but responds enthusiastically?

What if her birthday is on Jan 5th and you found from someone else, can you somehow get it into conversation?

Also what about the girl being online on whatsapp often, but somehow not having replied to your message? Is it:

1. She wants to send you a special message and take time on it
    2. She wants to have a lengthy flirty conversation with you when she has a lot of time rather than just reply with a short answer.
    3. She hasn't seen it
    4. She is playing a mind game by ignoring and waiting hours/days to respond to your text.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Blazar)
    Sometimes we just get distracted and have better things to do than talk to people.
    Maybe, but:
    1. Is it not impolite not to respond at all?
    2. If you use a guy to listen to you when you are bored/seek attention, and then not ask about him or just do it for the sake of it, isn't that wrong?
    3. If you are too busy to talk to people, how come you are on whatsapp often enough? Why do you ignore this guy either for a day and then respond or wait till he texts again?
    4. Why do you not initiate, but still respond enthusiastically?

Pls just need advice!

TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: December 5, 2014
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.