Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm due to do a day in an abattoir in a few weeks and I'm just wondering what to expect?

i have an idea obviously but would like to know of your experiences if anyone has been to an abattoir for a day before?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lucywoss)
    I'm due to do a day in an abattoir in a few weeks and I'm just wondering what to expect?

i have an idea obviously but would like to know of your experiences if anyone has been to an abattoir for a day before?
    honestly, it's not nearly as bad as you think it will be! the abattoir vet gave me a tour of the place, it was actually quite interesting what the vet was saying about his job and their standards etc etc. the worst part is seeing the animals get killed, but just say that you dont want to see that...its not very nice get the vet to explain the process so you understand that is it painless. overall, its not as bad as you think!

ReputationRep:
    The thing to think about while you are there is 'Food Production' not 'Animal about to get shot'.

Vet work is vital in maintaining public health and food production in this country - this is crucial aspect to stress in any PS as it means you've stopped thinking on the level of 'I just want to help animals' and are viewing Vet work with a more grown-up attitude.

If you find you get too upset in an abattoir then you really DO need to rethink your application to Vet.

ReputationRep:
    It certainly wasn't for the faint hearted, but it's a good job I am far from. It was an interesting and overall positive experience. The vet who I shadowed was very informative and the whole process was actually reassuring, as a meat eater myself it was a nice to know just how humane it really is. It was interesting to see the role of a vet in such an environment, as it's not the first thing that springs to mind in this career.

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm currently looking for work experience at an abattoir and was just wondering whereabouts you did yours? Thank you

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: April 13, 2015

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.